DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Prep Shower Walls / Shower Bench Question

7K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  mikeylikesit580 
#1 ·
Hey all - In the midst of a master bath reno..

(http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/cond...emo-bathtub-shower-conversion-flooring-98814/)

Preslope is down, liner is down... about to put in shower mud to complete the base. A few questions:

1) Should I install the CBU first, prior to the mud pan? In other words, "bury" the bottom edge of the CBU below the shower mud, then tile and caulk that joint? Or, get the mud in, bring CBU down to about 1/8" above the final mud height and then tile and caulk joint?

2) Bench and Curb questions: the liner was installed by the guy who did the preslope and framed the bench for me (I was travelling/working and needed to continue progress so hired that out). He ran the liner up the studs fine... over the curb and hanging down to the floor on the outsie of the shower.. fine.. but also up the front and top of the bench, and installed blocking on the outside of the top of the bench to attach to the studs. The bench is plywood topped and sloped down to have run off goto the shower.

My question: how do I proceed? Should the liner be over the bench? If so, how do I tile this? I was planning on cutting CBU, installing on the bench, and RegGuarding the entire shower before thinsetting the tile.

A related question: I've read that people use metal lath and attach on the outside of the curb, over the liner, the deck mud holds it down on the inside, then thinset and tile over curb... should I use this system on the bench?

Or... do I take off the plywood, run the liner behind it up the "studs" of the bench.. and then redguard over the plywood and tile away?

Let me know if you need any more clarification/pictures/etc.

See less See more
#3 ·
1--Board first---mud holds the bottom of the board.

2---Pretend that the liner isn't there(on the bench)---install the Durrock over the top---then mesh the corners and apply the paint on water proofing---the liner will be a back up in case your paint on membrane leaks--(It won't)

I use Hydroban by Latacrete (it's like Redguard)---I trust it ---Mike----

Reactions: LeviDIY
#2 ·
OK - regarding the liner and curb/bench question... I've done some more research, and would love some validation:

Via: http://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/shower-curb/

So, I'm using lath on the curb, no CBU, and "squaring" up the curb with the mortar mix.. then thinset/tile on top.

Can I use this same methodology on the bench then? Run the lath, stapling it all the way on the studs past the top, run across the "seat" and down the front into the pan? Then, a little bit of the ud on top of the lath, then thinset/tile?

Or... better way given my setup?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.