Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Share |

Pre hung doors vs hanging doors myself

I am interested in replacing some doors in my 90 year old house. I am really at the very beginning of the planning process and I would like advice on whether I should consider removing the jamb altogether and installing pre hung doors or try to fit doors into the existing jambs. I haven't checked yet for square, level, or plumb but all the current doors open and close just fine leading me to believe they are not too far off. I have installed pre hung doors before into new construction, but never as a retrofit and a I have never hung a door, so any insights would be very welcome. Thanks a lot.

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
the Musigician

If the jambs are ok, I'd certainly keep them and just replace doors.
Lots less work and expense that way.

DM

Old 04-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #3

are you dealing with plaster walls? if yes do like the mouse say
Old 04-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #4

With prehung units, exact locating of hinges is done for you. Exact is the key to locating the hinges on an existing jamb with a new door. As suggested above, in old construction, it is often better not to disturb old jambs.

Often, those old doors are much better quality than anything you can find today. Are they repairable, refinishable???
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
With prehung units, exact locating of hinges is done for you. Exact is the key to locating the hinges on an existing jamb with a new door. As suggested above, in old construction, it is often better not to disturb old jambs.

Often, those old doors are much better quality than anything you can find today. Are they repairable, refinishable???

Why do you want to replace the old doors?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

I have been going back and forth on what to do with the doors. They are the classic doors of the period - wood stiles and rails around a big single, thin panel. Previous owners have done a number on them changing the hardware, adding hooks and nails willy-nilly, executing stupid and ridiculous paint jobs. I think I can save the ones on the main floor, but the upstairs doors (3 of them) were also cut really short to accommodate the shag carpet. Now that the carpet is gone, they look funny with such huge gaps under them. Also, they are a little lighter weight then I would like for bedroom doors. So I would only be replacing those three.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
I have been going back and forth on what to do with the doors. They are the classic doors of the period - wood stiles and rails around a big single, thin panel. Previous owners have done a number on them changing the hardware, adding hooks and nails willy-nilly, executing stupid and ridiculous paint jobs. I think I can save the ones on the main floor, but the upstairs doors (3 of them) were also cut really short to accommodate the shag carpet. Now that the carpet is gone, they look funny with such huge gaps under them. Also, they are a little lighter weight then I would like for bedroom doors. So I would only be replacing those three.
strip the paint, fill and sand the holes and the door itself. for the short doors, you can tack a strip to the bottom of the door and fill it also. then prime / paint the whole thing and it will look pretty sharp. i have a bunch of doors i'm doing the exact same thing to myself. its not the fastest process ever but it does work.

there are a number of places that sell period hardware as well so your hinges and knob / lock assemblies will be correct to the period. they get pricey fast though those same places frequently stock doors as well. never hurts to check.

if you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you they are a great place to look for old hardware & doors. the store near me has an entire 40' aisle of nothing but doors on two sides.

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, doors, jamb, pre-hung