Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

pot lights and insulation question

i have an insulation question...my new cieling will be cathedral with spray foam insulation..my general has told me i need to use foam to meet code to get the best R value (ill agree with that cause i like foam anyway)..
next he say i need air flow between the roof and the foam for moisture reasons (ill agree cause i dont know any different and it sounds good)
nes the wife wants (and she usually gets) some pot lights in this ceiling...here is where i am concerned (again because i dont know any better) he has installed some styrofoam thing a mcgiggars in the cieling for air flow (you can see them in the photo attached) but the pot lights go tight to them..will this pass code with foam around them ..and .. will the heat loss be too much to live with as there will be virtually no or little insulation behind the pot lights

if you took time to read this lengthy post please reply as i am stumped..

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
pot lights and insulation question-p4020002.jpg  

billie_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Electrician

The pink things are called proper vents, the recess is not an issue, but I dislike them in your application, too easy for a condensation problem.

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
The pink things are called proper vents, the recess is not an issue, but I dislike them in your application, too easy for a condensation problem.

thanks for replying chris..do you mean i could get condensation on the inside of the proper vent..or in the pot light or on the cold side of the proper vent?

i would like to talk to my GC about this but i would like to know that he might think i have investigated and have an idea of what i am asking
Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie_t View Post
thanks for replying chris..do you mean i could get condensation on the inside of the proper vent..or in the pot light or on the cold side of the proper vent?

i would like to talk to my GC about this but i would like to know that he might think i have investigated and have an idea of what i am asking
This is just my opinion, but I have seen not enough installation installed because of the size of the can so you can have a condensation problem, heat and cold dont mix too well, I've seen alot of stained ceilings, the best you can do is insulate the cans with high R board... but this is just my opinion...
Old 04-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #5

thanks chris..you have given me some information i can now take to my GC and ask about
Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
thanks chris..you have given me some information i can now take to my GC and ask about
It wont hurt thats for sure... I dont know what your climate is like, so good luck.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
It wont hurt thats for sure... I dont know what your climate is like, so good luck.
climate..condensation capital..lol...ontario canada
Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
Electrician

Quote:
climate..condensation capital..lol...ontario canada

The only good thing is the spray foam, I've only seen problems with fiberglass... so you might be okay, its just a tough call with the size of cans today...