Is This Possible? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Is this possible?

I want to put a square sink on my bathroom countertop which currently has an oval sink. Is this possible or what would I have to do to the countertop to make it accommodate a this different shape?

Advertisement

ttwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Is this possible?

Well, I would think a jigsaw would cut a nice hole for your sink, unless the round hole is too big for the dimensions of the square sink. Or unless your counter is made of granite or marble. Any more details?

Advertisement

Huskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #3

Is this possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskee
Well, I would think a jigsaw would cut a nice hole for your sink, unless the round hole is too big for the dimensions of the square sink. Or unless your counter is made of granite or marble. Any more details?
It's actually it's melamime. Is this a problem?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Is this possible?

That should be easy enough to cut with a jigsaw or even a sawzall if you have a steady hand. From what I know it's prone to chipping so I'd advise to place a piece of masking or duct tape on center across your cut line and cut through the tape. Hopefully this would help your finihs surface stay intact. I must be honest though I've never cut it myself.
Huskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 580

Is this possible?

Pickup a down cutting jigsaw blade, the splinters will all be under the counter top that way.
Lay down some 2" wide blue tap on the counter and layout your lines. The tape will keep the top from getting scuffed up.
ttwin (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #6

Is this possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Pickup a down cutting jigsaw blade, the splinters will all be under the counter top that way. Lay down some 2" wide blue tap on the counter and layout your lines. The tape will keep the top from getting scuffed up.
Thanks so much! I will do a little more research to make sure I have the concept right before I totally screw this up.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 860

Is this possible?

I've replaced lots of vanity tops and don't think I've ever seen one made of melamine.Are you sure that's what it is ?
Make sure you get a good bead of silicone between the top and new sink.Melamine and water don't play well together.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #8

Is this possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1
I've replaced lots of vanity tops and don't think I've ever seen one made of melamine.Are you sure that's what it is ? Make sure you get a good bead of silicone between the top and new sink.Melamine and water don't play well together.
Yes unfortunately it's melamime
Old 02-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
24+ years of fixin'

Rewards Points: 316

Is this possible?

Well, you had me at the "is this possible" headline

Tape the cut lines, use the jigsaw at a medium speed. But the major question was............ Are you cutting corners out of the oval sink hole, or are you going to have some gaps?

My personal preference is to start with a new countertop. Who knows how much water has seeped through and turned the sponge board into waste.
gmaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #10

Is this possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaint
Well, you had me at the "is this possible" headline Tape the cut lines, use the jigsaw at a medium speed. But the major question was............ Are you cutting corners out of the oval sink hole, or are you going to have some gaps? My personal preference is to start with a new countertop. Who knows how much water has seeped through and turned the sponge board into waste.
I think it's best if I cut the corners to accommodate the shape of the sink.

Advertisement