Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
Newly Retired

Rewards Points: 75

Pocket Door

I am remodeling a couple of rooms and I need a 26" pocket door. No one makes on that I can find so I am wondering can I take a 28" door and cut an inch off each side to make a 26" door? I know it can be done but is there enough material left so the door will still be strong enough.

tuchodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pocket Door

Are you SURE you need a 26"? A pocket door has a couple of inches inside the wall when closed. The 28" might be exactly what you need. Do you have the old door to measure?

DM

Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Newly Retired

Pocket Door

There is no door there now as I am splitting an existing room into a walk in closet and an ensuite bathroom but my opening is going to be just under 28" so the largest I believe I can use would be a 26". I could us a 24" but wanted just a little bigger opening.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
the Musigician

Pocket Door

If you get a solid panel door, you can trim as needed. I would not try with a hollow interior door.

DM
Old 04-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Newly Retired

Pocket Door

Yes good point. I had found a couple of new 28" doors for a real good price so thats why I was wondering about the hollow door as to how much I could cut off and still keep the integrity of the door.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
the Musigician

Pocket Door

Not likely to work out well, no. Also, you need the solid outside edges of hollow doors to mount your hardware to as well. Panel door would work well either way. Do you have a picture of what you're doing? I'm still confused as to door sizing.

DM
Old 04-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Newly Retired

Pocket Door

No pictures as I am just starting and have just measurements and a few sketches. You convinced me to go with the solid door, just trying to save money in my retirement but as usual you only get what you pay for.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
the Musigician

Pocket Door

I'd do a search on craigslist for "door" in your area. I see some beautiful doors very cheap on there all the time.

DM
Old 04-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Pocket Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuchodi View Post
I am remodeling a couple of rooms and I need a 26" pocket door. No one makes on that I can find so I am wondering can I take a 28" door and cut an inch off each side to make a 26" door? I know it can be done but is there enough material left so the door will still be strong enough.
Pocket doors come with a built tuck-frame that the door slides in and out of, the overhead rack that the door hangs from, the door itself, and a wood doorstop that goes at the far end (where the door closes and meets the frame). Most pocket doors are solid panels - not hollow.

When you modify a pocket door and downsize it you cut the overhead rack down to the length needed and you measure how much you need to remove overall from the door panel - and divide that in two (just like you did) - so you remove some from both sides of the door. This will keep your door design centered when it hangs in the closed possition.

Round the edges with a sander to get it to look factory. . . center the hangars accordingly and install according to directions.

It's quite basic - as long as you don't have to cut off way too much a door that's a few inches larger will work fine.