Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Plywood on Concrete?

I have a 4x7 section in my garage that is concrete that the builder did not put drywall on. I want to put plywood on it or something else so it blends with my new paint job on the rest of the garage. Any ides on the best type of wood(plywood,osb?) to put on it and the best way to attach?(tapcons?) Thanks for any help for this brand new home owner and complete handyman idiot.

jeff29715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:08 AM   #2

Plywood on Concrete?

Whatever you put up should be on furring strips, not directly on concrete. And why not drywall?? If it must be plywood, B/C paints up better than OSB or C/D, 1/2" should be fine.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #3

Plywood on Concrete?

Are you finishing the garage for a workshop? Will there be a heat source? Is the concrete wall against the earth?
If so, read about vapor barriers here: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gs?full_view=1 Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #4

Plywood on Concrete?

I am finishing the garage, but to make it a sports theme room. No heat or air. I have painted the rest of it. I just need to cover this section with something. If I use furring strips, and then put on drywall, it will protrude more than the rest of the wall. Is there anyway to put plywood, drywall, or anything else directly on the concrete? I live in a townhouse, and the concrete area is part of the base of my neighbors porch.Thanks.
jeff29715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #5

Plywood on Concrete?

I've used a technique with drywall (moisture resistant variety). Mostly directly to brick or stone. They have a special plaster for gluing drywall to brick or cement. You use a dollop every 8 inches or so on the back of the drywall, push it against the wall allowing the dollops of plaster to spread until you are flush. Requires a little guess work on how much plaster to use. I tend towards overkill and often add some anchors through the drywall after the plaster has set. The cement (wall) should be dusted so the plaster can grip good, maybe brush it down lightly with a steel brush. Tape and Spackle the edges when your done. I leave a 1/4" gap top and bottom and smear them closed later (after everything is dry) with acrylic or silicon.
I use a three foot piece of 2X4 to kind of push on the drywall or as kind of a hammer (lightly).
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote