PLEASE HELP. Severe Allergies, Need A Way To Keep Pets / Dirt Out Of Bedrooms. - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

PLEASE HELP. Severe allergies, need a way to keep pets / dirt out of bedrooms.

My husband and I both have severe allergies and 2 dogs and one cat. The dogs have a baby gate they cannot cross and so are kept out of the hallway leading to the bedrooms. The cat however, regularly sleeps on my bed.

I am thinking of installing a door in the middle of the hallway to keep her out. I know it will depend on where the studs are and will look terrible but I am desperate and can't think of anything else to do.

I can't rehome the cat as it has medical issues and needs life saving medication every day and would be impossible to find someone to care for her.

I am hoping the door would also seal off the dirt and dust from the rest of the house entering that area.

Does any one have any other ideas? Have you tried this?

Thanks
Angie

Advertisement

polydactylcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Try simply shutting the bedroom door. For keeping kids out... vaseline on the doorknob.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi, I don't have kids- just pets.
The cat sneaks in and runs under the bed any time you open the bedroom door- and its hard to get her out.
Thus, a door in the hall might solve the problem as she would be cornered and easily put out before she ever got to the bedroom.
I just realized that the cieling is higher than the doors so this would not work:-(.

I dont have the skills to put sheetrock up there
polydactylcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by polydactylcat View Post
Hi, I don't have kids- just pets.
The cat sneaks in and runs under the bed any time you open the bedroom door- and its hard to get her out.
Thus, a door in the hall might solve the problem as she would be cornered and easily put out before she ever got to the bedroom.
I just realized that the cieling is higher than the doors so this would not work:-(.

I dont have the skills to put sheetrock up there
Not trying to be antagonistic here, but ceilings are always higher than doors. You would have to build a wall to put that hall door into. The wall would go all the way up to the ceiling.

If you can hang a door, you can surely build the necessary wall.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
bpm

Rewards Points: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by polydactylcat View Post
My husband and I both have severe allergies and 2 dogs and one cat. The dogs have a baby gate they cannot cross and so are kept out of the hallway leading to the bedrooms. The cat however, regularly sleeps on my bed.

I am thinking of installing a door in the middle of the hallway to keep her out. I know it will depend on where the studs are and will look terrible but I am desperate and can't think of anything else to do.

I can't rehome the cat as it has medical issues and needs life saving medication every day and would be impossible to find someone to care for her.

I am hoping the door would also seal off the dirt and dust from the rest of the house entering that area.

Does any one have any other ideas? Have you tried this?

Thanks
Angie

I really think you need to consider getting rid of the pets. If you are serverly allergic to the pets, keeping them out of your bedroom only reduces your exposure to them while you are sleeping. You are still being exposed to them everywhere else in the house, while you are not sleeping. While keeping the cat off your bed may help a bit, getting rid of the pets should really be your focus. The dogs, if healthy, friendly, and safe should be decent candidates for finding new homes. The cat is more of a challenge, but I still say the best answer is to rid yourself of the cat.

I'm also allergic to cats, and grew up and lived in various places that had cats, and despite my best efforts to keep my distance, the only real answer was to not live in a house with them. Thats my 2 cents.
bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

if your allergies are that bad why do you have a cat and 2 dogs anyway???

Advertisement

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote