Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #1

Share |

Please help! How to add floor joist to re support floor

I have a very unique situation. I am remodeling my attic and we have a small section of attic that is only 6 feet tall at it's highest point, with slanted walls from that point on down. It is a 23 feet by 13 foot space though, so I didn't want to waste it seeing as we are turning our attic into a master bed/bath. We are going to use the space as a closet/ movie room, we already planned the whole thing, measured a couch that will fit and all.

I am going to have to re support the floor because they joists are 2 by 6's on 24 inch centers spanning 13 feet across and according to a floor chart I found, that won't cut it. I was going to add more 2 by 6s so that they would all be on 12 inch centers, and according to the chart, I would be golden in that case.

I bought the beams and cut one to size, started to put it into place, and it is too long, I can't get it in place. Cutting it any shorter would leave it unable to span the 13 feet so that won't work. I can't cut into the ceiling of the room underneath as I am not ready to redo those rooms yet. My question is, I need some kind of advice. Can I cut the beams in half, put them in place, and reconnect them using metal plates on either side or would that cause them to sag into the ceiling of the room below? Is there some other way I can re-support the floor (keeping in mind that I cannot get access to the ceiling in the rooms below this space)? Could I use a header in some way to help or would a herringbone strut help in anyway? Any advice would be great. I suppose if it just won't work out I will just chance it with the 2 X 6s on 24 inch centers, and deal with a bouncy floor.

Spm8d6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #2

#1, Please go back and add your location to your profile.
Just go to quick links to edit.
#2, You need permits to do this type of work.
#3, That space does not meet minimum ceiling heights for a habitable space.
http://evstudio.com/minimum-room-siz...iling-heights/
#4, Not only will you have bouncy floors but it's going to take out the ceiling below from nail pops.
#5, You also needed stairs that meet code and windows that meet egress codes in your area.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #3

hey joecaption thanks for your advice. I realize the area will not meet code for a habitable space, but I do not plan on using this as a habitable space forever. I plan for not to use it as a movie room because we do not have a movie room. Once we get a movie room in place we will no longer use it as such. The main purpose for this space is to be a closet. It will always be a closet/storage space for the life of the project, which I do believe is completely fine to do with a space of this size as people do it all the time in their own attics and things. I am not going to get permits, I do not plan on selling this house for a long time and I don't see the trouble of getting permits for adding something that will inevitably be nothing more than a storage space. I was just trying to get some do it yourself advice because I plan on doing this myself. Please help with some advice as to how I can re-support the floor.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #4

Also, I this section of the attic is a small section. The rest of the attic is up to code as far as ceilings and everything goes, it already has windows and a staircase that has been there for probably a hundred years. The section I am trying to re-support juts off from the main area and I want to use as a closet/ temporary movie room.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #5

The reason that section has not been finished is; low headroom- it is not usable for even temporary living space. A small closet maybe, not a walk-in closet. Ask your local AHJ or Fire Marshall about your plan...

Gary
Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #6

I once rented a room 40 years ago, that was only a 8 X 16, with at least 2/3 of it had a 5 foot ceiling, that was where the bed was, had to literally crawl in to bed. So it was not a livable space? But I guess that codes have changed since then .

Can the ceiling be temporarily supported with jack posts, and support beams, until the new can be wedged in sideways, then gently hammered square at the desired 12 in on center is acquired? And anchored correctly.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #7

1 1/8" subfloor it and call it good.
G17GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #8

Just sister joists onto existing 2x6 joists. If it is a little short it doesnt matter. 1 2x6 is enough of bearing point. Use at least a 3/4 inch subfloor rated for 24 oc.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #9

Thanks for your help guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to Spm8d6 For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #10

No problem. That is why most of us are here anyway.

But it's always good to be thanked.

ED

de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (03-27-2014)

Tags
floor, header, joist, support