Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

please give me feedback on these tile choices etc.

Hello! Before I start doing things to my kitchen that are hard to undo, could I ask for some feedback? I'm wondering mostly if there is anything I am going to regret about going with natural stone tiles for the floor and backsplash. I'll try to post some pictures later, but for now I'll use links.

We refinished the cabinets -- they're a medium-toned oak. (Don't like them but they're staying.) Got Venetian Gold granite countertops installed yesterday.

For the floor, we found marble tile on clearance. I can't find it on the Web site but the pattern looks similar to this. I was told it doesn't need any sealing? I've been googling for hours and can't find something good on really how difficult the care is, or even what to use to clean it.

The backsplash will include tumbled mosaic slate tiles , tumbled marble sheet travertine and chiaro natural stone tile. I was told to all seal this once and it would be OK?? How do you clean this kind of backsplash? I hated our old porceline (I should know how to spell that!) one with a passion and love these new ones but I don't want it to look dirty or be miserable to clean or cost a fortune to reseal a couple times a year.

Any feedback on the care of these materials would be greatly appreciated. Feedback on the combination (colors etc.) would also be welcome! I'm concerned that this combo of floor/cabinet/ countertop/backsplash will be dark. If I change something for the purpose of lightening up the color scheme, we'll probably return the floor tiles and go with a more conventional porceline, which will have less character.

We're kind of new at the DIY thing and have made some painful and costly mistakes, so I want to get the kitchen right the first time!

Thanks!

dahlias987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

If you were to change the floor tiles to lighter color I would definitely have a darker contrasting color to split the back splah, possibly a single stip of darker glass tile. just a though. We're actually going through the back splash colr choosing process now. good Luck

Stcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks. I am planning to use both the light stone and the darker ones on the backsplash, though I'm not positive what the design will be yet.

I've been reading more about marble tile and am getting kind of nervous. It seems that it might be hard to do things like move appliances without scratching it. Our home might eventually be a rental so I might have to rethink the floor.
dahlias987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Agreed. Marble would not be a good choice for a rental. i know for the way my family moves around we could never get marble let alone for a rental.
Stcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote