DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Remodeling (
-   -   plaster (

ponch37300 02-11-2009 09:15 PM

I am redoing my house and some rooms have some kind of drywall(think it's called blue board, 12" wide strips) nailed to the walls and then a 3/8" or so layer of plaster. I need to patch some holes where I took a wall out. What is the best way to patch these?

Can I just patch some drywall in the spaces and then tape and mud them? Or do I have to use plaster? Also there is some spots that just need a "skim coat", can I just use mud on these or do I need to use plaster?

Never delt with plaster before so if I am going to need to any tips will be appreciated. Thanks.

Just Bill 02-12-2009 05:59 AM

Blue board is what is used under a modern plaster finish. Yes, it can be patched with standard drywall and mud.

ponch37300 02-12-2009 07:27 AM

Thanks bill. I was hoping I could just use regular mud since I've never used plaster before.

Maintenance 6 02-12-2009 10:54 AM

The stuff in 12" wide strips is called rock lath. It is pretty much like drywall, but was used as a base to plaster over. You can use 3/8 or even 1/2" drywall to patch in and cover it with drywall compound. It's usually easier to shim your patch to match the surface of your plaster and then tape the joint and finish like you would drywall.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1