Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #1

Share |

(PIC) What Can I DO with this space ?

Hello, I'm first home owner, and very excited with remodeling house.

and this is my back part of house and this is empty and potential area.

What can I make it for better space?

Sunroom? inside patio?

I'm thinking of making another family room like...

my two years old kid toy room and ping pong.

move laundry and gas water heater somehow from house.

kind of make another room here..

Any idea? any rule? any suggetion? any estimate expense?

Thanks Pro...

Terry.

5taehoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #2

Is that a concrete floor? My wife would put a hot tub in there for sure. If this is southern Cal. you have a lot of options as the weather is moderate. The house looks to be on small side. I can see where you would want to add living space. How much privacy do you have from your neighbors in the back yard? If you close this in as living space that will push your outdoor activities further out where you may not have as much privacy.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
5taehoon (02-16-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Is that a concrete floor? My wife would put a hot tub in there for sure. If this is southern Cal. you have a lot of options as the weather is moderate. The house looks to be on small side. I can see where you would want to add living space. How much privacy do you have from your neighbors in the back yard? If you close this in as living space that will push your outdoor activities further out where you may not have as much privacy.

Is that a concrete floor?

> Yes it has concrete floor base in somehow but now very deep.

My wife would put a hot tub in there for sure.

> that is also good idea. but we dont use hot tub too much and make it more like cozy room... inside style.

If this is southern Cal. you have a lot of options as the weather is moderate.

> Studio city , California.. Weather is always good and hot. some rains in winter.

The house looks to be on small side. I can see where you would want to add living space. How much privacy do you have from your neighbors in the back yard?

> Back yard has very high fences around.. so Privacy is okay. Maybe I can put additional blind...?

If you close this in as living space that will push your outdoor activities further out where you may not have as much privacy.

> More like further living space..

Thanks... I need more opinions and comments.. plz
Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

what are the rectangular cut outs on the wall. There are 2 on each wall about 6 inches off the ground and then a larger on on the larger wall right at the floor.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
5taehoon (02-16-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #5

Crawlsapce ventilation would be my guess on the smalller ones. Maybe the lager one permits access? A structure like that could not survive our winters. That roof would be toast!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
5taehoon (02-16-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Crawlsapce ventilation would be my guess on the smalller ones. Maybe the lager one permits access?
I was thinking something similar. If so, that limits what you can do with this as you probably wouldn't want to actually enclose the area and stop flow through ventilation.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
5taehoon (02-16-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #7

If you wanted to make this exterior space, interior space you would need to have a foundation put in at a minimum. Whether the roof structure is up to code would be another issue to consider.
If you're serious about this modification, I would speak to the building dept and an architect.
Looking at the vents and your need to continue these to the exterior, you wouldn't have the ceiling clearance to convert this, even if the roof was to code. It would be too low.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 02-17-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added info
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
5taehoon (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If you wanted to make this exterior space, interior space you would need to have a foundation put in at a minimum. Whether the roof structure is up to code would be another issue to consider.
If you're serious about this modification, I would speak to the building dept and an architect.
Looking at the vents and your need to continue these to the exterior, you wouldn't have the ceiling clearance to convert this, even if the roof was to code. It would be too low.
Ron

Thanks... I now know that I need to check many stuff for code. Well. it also make me sad..

THanks Ron
Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #9

My idea would be to install screens, and if one of the adjacent rooms is a kitchen, a door to it. It would be a great place to have meals, or a drink after a long day. You could put rigid foam insulation on the bottom of the roof to keep down the heat. And a ceiling fan. Plus some lights and electrical outlets. And maybe a spigot.

You could do all that for a few $100 to a $1000, depending on the level of quality and how much you could do yourself.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #10

I would make it a screened in Sun room/porch with full windows/doors on 3 sides. This could lead out to a patio with a grilling area. I have a porch and I love it, we get alot of enjoyment out of it. You feel the breeze on warm summer nights and it's a place where you can sit and talk for hours after dinner, light candles and hear the crickets.
1920Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
My idea would be to install screens, and if one of the adjacent rooms is a kitchen, a door to it. It would be a great place to have meals, or a drink after a long day. You could put rigid foam insulation on the bottom of the roof to keep down the heat. And a ceiling fan. Plus some lights and electrical outlets. And maybe a spigot.
I second this, especially if you have children or if you hate mosquitos. Having a lit area for nights that can keep the bugs off you would be fantastic. Throw a fire pit just outside and enjoy the option of sitting inside or out under the stars.

Just think of kids bday parties too...no worries about raining out just shack up under the roof. It can go on and on but I highly recommend keeping it an outdoor space but maybe sprucing it up a bit

Cost would just depend on how nice ya want it. I could see a couple hundred up to 10k (thinking of those outdoor remodeling shows lol). Either way good luck, hope you enjoy your new space. I would love to have a place like this at my house.
Cmudr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #12

Lightbulb

That would be a great space to infill some sunroom walls. It would depend on what you'd like to do with the space. If you looking to have a nice are to eat dinner when the weathers good, you can do screen walls, or if you'd like more protection for the heat and cold you could infill the openings with dual pane glass. It would help to insulate the ceiling of the existing patio. If you have any question about some other options I'd love to help. Not sure where your at but if you just looking to pick someone's brain I'd love to discuss some ideas you could look into. We have some great pictures of similar area on our website. I can be reached in our office.

Robb Nelson
Pacific Builders
(800) 688-3168
www.pacificbuilders.com
pacificbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificbuilders View Post
That would be a great space to infill some sunroom walls. It would depend on what you'd like to do with the space. If you looking to have a nice are to eat dinner when the weathers good, you can do screen walls, or if you'd like more protection for the heat and cold you could infill the openings with dual pane glass. It would help to insulate the ceiling of the existing patio. If you have any question about some other options I'd love to help. Not sure where your at but if you just looking to pick someone's brain I'd love to discuss some ideas you could look into. We have some great pictures of similar area on our website. I can be reached in our office.

Robb Nelson
Pacific Builders
(800) 688-3168
www.pacificbuilders.com
Robb, what's your idea for ventilating that crawlspace if she closes that area in with windows?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #14

You can leave the access to the crawl space there or re-locate it to another area if possible, as for the vents, usually they can be filled in and added elsewhere (depending on the building department). I would recommend adding some of them on the same side of the house or right around the corner where they are now to allow as much cross ventilation as possible. Usually you need to add one for every one you close up.

Last edited by pacificbuilders; 02-22-2011 at 01:09 PM.
pacificbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote