DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Permit requirements in Pickering.

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Siubeer 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm planning a legal suite in the basement of our semi.
I brought my drawing plans to the city to apply for a permit and along with some other things, they asked me to provide them drawings of the rest of the house as well. :eek:

Granted I'm a drafter/designer, I can do these for just my time. Anyone else would be pretty expensive. I was wondering why would the city need drawings of the whole house for a basement suite reno?

My guess is that they want to know how they could tax me more, or something along those lines.

I can see why there are so many illegal suites. Dealing with permits and the city is such a pain.

Siubee.

#5 ·
are you on a septic system? if so, your septic codes may be based upon total number of rooms, or total number of bedrooms. it is extremely common in my area to have to prepare an existing conditions plans together with proposed plans.

as Tarheel said it provides reference and could indicate load bearing points in the basement.

if it is a concern on your part simply ask them why you have to provide this .... then you'd have your answer.

Good luck!

#2 ·
Taxes might be a 'minor' reason...but the real reason is safety.

Say you by a house...owner did the basement as you are proposing to do....how do you know he did the wiring right? How do you know he did the plumbing right? How do you know he is not trying to hide a serious foundation issue?

Those permit requirements are in place to protect you and the next person.

#6 ·
GBrackins said:
if it is a concern on your part simply ask them why you have to provide this .... then you'd have your answer.

Good luck!
They couldn't give me a straight answer. They said they needed to see each dwelling unit had laundry facilities.

I'm just wondering what else they need it for. Load bearing points makes a lot of sense now. Thx.

#7 ·
They couldn't give me a straight answer.
And you'll never get one either, it's not that they couldn't, more like won't.

They said they needed to see each dwelling unit had laundry facilities.
Sure! SURE! we believe them 100%, don't we kids!

I'm just wondering what else they need it for.
Taxes, taxes, did I mention taxes? This is the perfect opportunity for them to probe into all aspects of your house and what you are doing, even those having nothing whatsoever to do with your basement- don't think in terms of "safety" because that's the same BS they feed us about the red light cameras while detailing all the REVENUE the cameras will generate from traffic tickets, so we know it's all about the MONEY and how much they can jack up your real estate taxes in the next year, watch and see them do exactly that as soon as the new tax year begins after you've done work on the house.

#9 ·
What is meant by a "legal suite"? At first reading that term, I was thinking of a suite of offices, making it a commercial occupancy. They would want plans of the remaining structure to be looking for fire barriers, rated walls and primary/secondary means of egress. "Legal suite" may have a completely different meaning in other parts of the world though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.