Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:11 AM   #1

Share |

Partially finishing basement

I'm looking to semi-finish my basement. I'll admit I don't know a lot about remodeling/construction but I'll have help throughout the process from one of my friends who has done construction all his life. What I'd like to do is put studs on the walls, paint the ceiling and be done with it. Nothing fancy just make it look nicer than concrete walls with no outlets. I bought some foam insulation from HD the other day and cut it all to size for around the walls. I've been doing some research about moisture in basements and it sounds like it can turn into a pretty nasty problem. I have never had a problem with moisture on the walls in my basement (the walls are poured, house was built in the 50's). In the summer we keep a dehumidifier running because the water main does get a little wet without it (with it running its bone dry). I guess my question is this; I was planning on sealing the foam to the concrete walls to create a moisture barrier, then putting studs up. Some posts I've read (not sure if it was from this site or another) say that you should leave it loose and allow a gap to let the concrete breath. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

nrpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
ICF Construction

You can place the foam directly against the concrete without any problems, however, you can't leave the foam exposed, it must be covered i.e. drywall on the walls.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

What Chris said...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpalm View Post
I'm looking to semi-finish my basement. I'll admit I don't know a lot about remodeling/construction but I'll have help throughout the process from one of my friends who has done construction all his life. What I'd like to do is put studs on the walls, paint the ceiling and be done with it. Nothing fancy just make it look nicer than concrete walls with no outlets. I bought some foam insulation from HD the other day and cut it all to size for around the walls. I've been doing some research about moisture in basements and it sounds like it can turn into a pretty nasty problem. I have never had a problem with moisture on the walls in my basement (the walls are poured, house was built in the 50's). In the summer we keep a dehumidifier running because the water main does get a little wet without it (with it running its bone dry). I guess my question is this; I was planning on sealing the foam to the concrete walls to create a moisture barrier, then putting studs up. Some posts I've read (not sure if it was from this site or another) say that you should leave it loose and allow a gap to let the concrete breath. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If I can do it, anybody can.

Do whatever Atlantic says. He's an expert. I'm one of his groupies.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
You can place the foam directly against the concrete without any problems, however, you can't leave the foam exposed, it must be covered i.e. drywall on the walls.
I get that part, I guess what I was asking is if you would seal the foam to the concrete with liquid nails/caulking or leave it just set against the wall with the studs holding it up.
nrpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpalm View Post
I get that part, I guess what I was asking is if you would seal the foam to the concrete with liquid nails/caulking or leave it just set against the wall with the studs holding it up.
If installing the wall and framing directly against the concrete:
I suggest that you use PT lumber. Attach the rigid foam with liquid nail (construction adhesive) to the concrete.
Install no vapor barrier.
Install paperless Drywall.
http://www.gp.com/BUILD/product.aspx?pid=4659

If framing the walls with a space between the concrete foundation walls, then you can install the rigid foam to the concrete, the same way, using const. adh.

For the walls, you can use PT sill plates and KD studs.
I still suggest that you use paperless drywall on at least the lower 4' of the walls (In case of a plumbing leak, Hot water tank failure, etc...).

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-06-2008 at 07:19 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote