Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #1

Share |
Question

parquetry/hardwood on concrete in basement

Q1: what is the underlayment that would need to go in between parquetry/hardwood and concrete ? i guess it would need some sort of a wooden underlayment to which it gets fastened while the underlayment is somehow affixed to the concrete ?

Q2: how much of ceiling height i am looking at compromising by having parquetry/hardwood on concrete ? how about a carpet instead, for the sake of comparison ?
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #2

Question 1 isn't easy to answer. There are a few things you have to consider. Is this above or below grade? What are the moisture conditions of the slab? You're probably going to want to lay down some asphalt paper first (maybe two layers) and then you can use either plywood or sleeper, 5/8-3/4" thick. If you're finishing a basement, I wouldn't suggest hardwood of any kind. You're only going to end up with problems.

Question 2 is simple ... how thick is your hardwood? you're probably looking at sacrificing 1.5" to 2". Carpeting would cost you 1/2 to 1" of ceiling height depending on the grade of padding and style of carpet.

Last edited by ShawnPA; 08-26-2008 at 06:43 AM.
ShawnPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #3

Hardwood on a slab....Especially a below-grade slab...Is not something I'd ever consider doing. There are just so many things that can go wrong with the installation down the road. Moisture, slab movement, etc...

I'd really consider tile or carpet instead.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote