Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pallet Wall, Need Help

I'm in the process of some pallet wall projects for friends. One of these will be a pallet wall in a bathroom. Here's my list of questions/concerns
1.) Moisture behind the pallet planks, what type of paint/primer should I look into. and stain as well.
2.) Mirror removal and framing. I'll search the site for some information on this, but it's a pretty generic mirror with those plastic tabs to hold it.
3.) Toilet removal (to get planks behind it) I'm sure this is on the site as well.

Basically this is my first post, and I'm not sure if I posted this on the wrong thread or not, so if I did. I'm sorry. Also I'm a beginner. And I'll try not to post dumb questions, but if I do, take it easy on me.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Big.Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Pallet Wall, Need Help

Are you talking about reusing boards from pallets to cover the walls?
I just can not imagine that being a good idea in of all rooms a bathroom.
That would be impossible to clean, highly likely to be damaged from the moisture in the room. It's going to throw off all the door, baseboard and window trim. May be a problem when resetting the toilet.
The ends of the boards need to fall on a stud.
The toilet comes out by shutting the water off and flushing the toilet, removing the waterline and the two nuts holding it to the floor. I like to remove the filter in my shop vac and sucking out all the left over water in the toilet before moving it.
Your going to need a new wax ring when resetting the toilet.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,142

Pallet Wall, Need Help

I'm with you, joe. I've heard many bad ideas on this forum, and this one makes the list for sure. The only use I've ever found for pallet wood is in my wood stove. Even that's a pain because of all the nails to remove first.

Even if the wood is oak, it usually can't be planed smooth and used for some woodworking project or other because it's of such poor quality.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,948

Pallet Wall, Need Help

Come on gang---it's a decorative feature ---tastes vary --and if it fails,it is just decorative and could be removed.

first off---will this be stained and varnished or painted?

I suggest prefinishing the planks before installing--and coat the back with the same finish as the face---

I suggest using dabs of builders adhesive and enough brads to hold the plank until the glue sets--

As to the toilet? Make sure that there is enough room behind the tank--if not,picture frame the tank with mitered pieces---

Don't pull the toilet---remove the tank---usually two bolts hold it in place,replace the old bolts and washers with new ones if they are not absolutely perfect.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #5

Pallet Wall, Need Help

Mike, thank you for response. I will be staining them. And I was planning on using multiple coats to prevent moisture damage. I've attached a picture to give everyone an idea of what I'm going for.
Any recommendations on paint or primer behind the wall?

Pallet Wall, Need Help-mandy-jean-chic-pallet-wall-1-450x600.jpg
Old 12-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,948

Pallet Wall, Need Help

If it's new drywall---a good primer like Zinseres 123 would be fine--and two coat of paint,just to give it a good seal---If you glue it--let the paint cure--or just stick with the prime and call it done---I think a black or dark brown paint will disguise the gaps and holes in the weathered wood.

If you can locate the studs---just use 2" brads or finish nails and do not use the adhesive---

I've made some store displays using recycled wood that turned out great---

Once I used punky old barn siding--I sanded it,then applied Minwax Wipe On Poly---

It turned a deep redish brown---nice surprise--
Old 12-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Pallet Wall, Need Help

I would primer it with an adhesive primer, but I'm sure the pros will chime in.

I'd also get the primer tinted to whatever color you want to show through the cracks in the pallet wood.

I'm with Mike above. any piece you can nail to 2 studs, don't use adhesive.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bbo For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-23-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #8

Pallet Wall, Need Help

Thanks guys!!!
The boards I'll be using will be 1x6's between 4' and 6' long so they'll cover some ground. Some of them are newer so I'll have to get creative aging them, but I'm excited. We're going to start in 2 weeks so I'll keep u updated on the process.
I appreciate all the information