Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

painting bathroom - primer for greenboard and hardiebacker?

Hello all,

I'm a DIYer working on a bathroom remodel and I've run into a bit of an snag. We tore out the walls to the studs and installed hardiebacker for a tiled tub surround. Greenboard and drywall were installed by a friend of mine for the rest of the bathroom and he textured the drywall with joint compound.

Hardiebacker surrounds the whole shower and I've taped and bedded the cement backerboard and the drywall.

By circumstance, I didn't have tile work finished when he textured.... It's now time to paint the bathroom but....

I wasn't aware of PVA primers and we didn't prime the drywall before texturing. The joint compound texture is directly on the drywall and I'm trying to figure out the best way to paint it.

Here's my question.... I have some exposed, untiled backerboard that needs to be textured and painted. The textured drywall needs to be primed and painted as well.

I can skim coat thinset mortar on the backerboard to smooth it, and then use ?something? to get a texture similar to fake stucco with joint compound, but can I use the same primer and paint on both surfaces?

I went to sherwin williams and bought some latex preprite problock primer/sealer. The canister says it can be used on cured plaster but this is thinset mortar... Will this make a difference?

Basically, I'm in a situation where a section of bathroom drywall wasn't primed before texturing. I now need to prime and paint the drywall and adjacent backerboard. Can I please have suggestions for the best way to get a similar texture on the backerboard, then prime and paint both surfaces?

Also, does anyone have experience with using latex problock primer/sealer on cement backerboard?

Thanks all.

carrotguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You're trying to match the texture on the right side of the picture???

If so, I'd just skim coat over the thinset as smooth as possible, let it dry, and then re-texture that area. Roll on primer, then finish coat paint.

Where on the backerboard are you wanting to put sealer? With your tile already up, I'm not seeing the point. Hopefully you applied a sealer of some sort to the backerboard before tiling, or at least installed a good moisture barrier behind it.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
You're trying to match the texture on the right side of the picture???

If so, I'd just skim coat over the thinset as smooth as possible, let it dry, and then re-texture that area. Roll on primer, then finish coat paint.

Where on the backerboard are you wanting to put sealer? With your tile already up, I'm not seeing the point. Hopefully you applied a sealer of some sort to the backerboard before tiling, or at least installed a good moisture barrier behind it.
i'll hope to match the texture but we'll see what goes up. if i get a passable transition, i'll be happy.

i'm including two more pics so you can see how far away from the shower this area is. i dunno how much water passes through cement board, but i know that joint compound doesn't like water. should i use the same versabond thinset for the wall texture near the tile? i was thinking about mixing it up with just a bit more water.

the alternative would be to use joint compound for the texture... that area shouldn't get too wet, but i dunno.

the sealer would be the primer i picked up from sherman williams... there's a moisture barrier behind the CBUs.

thanks for the response.

carrotguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

You waterproofed behind that tile, right????
Old 06-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

I'm no expert but I wouldn't think that area should get wet....
pwhoolboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhoolboom View Post
I'm no expert but I wouldn't think that area should get wet....
You mean the textured wall and not the tile in the tub surround, right?