Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outside wall tub surround vapor barrier question

I am getting ready to install a new tub/ shower in freshly renovated bathroom (gutted, reinsulated, vapor barriered (outside walls) and partially mr dry walled) I plan on using cement backer board for a tile backer in surround. My question is should I or can I add another vapor barrier over existing full wall vapor barrier to go behind cement backer and end at tub flange? Is there a reason that I should not do this? Being an outside wall I am thinking that there should still be a full vapor barrier on said outside wall. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

shotsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

you need a waterproofing over the cement board, so a vapor barrier behind it makes no sense. However some inspectors will still require it. Normally we then install it, get the inspection and then remove the poly. Never have a double vapor barrier. So protect the work I would not use a poly barrier.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

OK just to make sure I am understanding you I should do the following:

-remove vapor barrier
-install cement backer right over studs and bare insulation
-apply a waterproof membrane such as kerdi

Have I understood you?

I should have maybe given a little more info in my first post sorry for that. My plan was to put up the cement board and cover with redguard; is this going to be sufficient for water proofing? Is a waterproof membrane a better way to do it? If I have a leak won't all my insulation be wrecked? I thought the idea of putting the vapor barrier behind the cement board was so if any water ever say seeped through a grout line it would make it's way back to the tub. Sorry for all the questions I just want a tub shower done right the first time that doesn't leak and doesn't give me a headache in a few years. I live in Alberta Canada and it's common practice to put vapor barrier on outside walls over fiberglass insulation.

Last edited by shotsy; 03-29-2010 at 11:42 PM.
shotsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

your inspector will require the vapor barrier in that climate.

Use Kerdi... far better than the redguard which is latex based and if water gets in it re-emulsifies.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower, surround, tub surround, vapor barrier