Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #1

Share |

order of projects for a bathroom facelift

sorry if this is general discussion material, wasn't sure.

I'm doing a quick facelift in the bathroom and wanted to make sure I won't run into problems with the order I'm planning on doing things, I was hoping someone could give me a thumbs up or down, or any tips on the order I'm planning to do this in.

1) remove all old hardware items (towel bars/etc) and patch holes, patch/sand/etc entire bathroom <done>

2) cut in hole for medicine cabinets, cleat, and dry fit <done>

3) tape up bathroom and paint (no color change, just fresh white on old white) walls/ceilings

4) scrub (with bleach?) the crap on the shower's grout lines and floor's grout lines, and the spots on the walls/ceilings that have little mildew spots

5) chisel (?) or somehow remove bad / old caulk/silicone from shower's slider frame/faucets/etc

6) new silicone wherever it was scraped, seal all grout that was scrubbed

7) install / caulk or silicone the medicine cabinet into place

8) install all hardware things (faucet, towel racks, tp holder, etc)

Is this basically on point? My biggest worries here are the order in which I'm removing bad caulk/silicone and cleaning grout relative to painting, and also the means by which to prep for both new caulk around shower edges and paint (since there's mildew present in some spots - typical 1/4 bleach solution rubbed on with sponge, not rinsed, then dried?)

Any input would be appreciated, don't wanna do this only to find I'm ruining completed parts because they were done in wrong order (happened before , quite annoying!!)

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #2

Remodeling is usually task specific. If you can do the remodeling you should be able to work out the methodology of sequence.
Each box you open will have instructions as to installation. You should read and understand the instructions before you undertake the task.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Remodeling is usually task specific. If you can do the remodeling you should be able to work out the methodology of sequence.
Each box you open will have instructions as to installation. You should read and understand the instructions before you undertake the task.
Ron
there's no mention in the boxes about the order to do these in - for instance in my satin nickel stuff's box (tp holder, towel bar), it makes no mention about doing before or after, say, painting.

It's okay I'm almost done now anyways and think the order I listed is just fine.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #4

The order looks ok. The only things I will add are:

Make sure the caulking you use is paintable. It will save headaches later if you ever repaint.

I don't see a need to caulk a medicine cabinet in, unless you mean just to cover any slight gaps around the perimeter.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by send_it_all View Post
The order looks ok. The only things I will add are:

Make sure the caulking you use is paintable. It will save headaches later if you ever repaint.

I don't see a need to caulk a medicine cabinet in, unless you mean just to cover any slight gaps around the perimeter.
haha! Very good to know, I actually wasn't able to wrap the whole thing today (isn't that how it always goes ), the cabinet's in but not caulked.

Oh and yeah, the wall isn't the plumbest lol, so it doesn't seal it properly so not caulking would be a major issue given my bathroom doesn't (yet) have an exhaust fan!

Only other issue I've really been having here has been those plastic panels for flourescent lights in the ceiling. I got a strip that should've been enough for my kitchen and bath units (both are 2'X4'), broke it in half fine, and shattered one trying to put it in (thank god I had goggles on!). I try again with the other one and same thing, cracked once it was almost in. Just seems you're supposed to flex them into place, but they're not pliable enough for it! Maybe I just need to cut it tighter or something, either way that's gonna have me back at home depot - gotta love being at hd virtually every other day, minimum!