Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

Orange peel texture cracking

Okay, we are getting ready to do a major interior remodel, but we have a little issue. Our home was built in 1996, and ever since we moved in 8 years ago we have had issues with the texture (orange peel) cracking throughout the house. Where it cracks at is the seam between the metal drywall flashing and the drywall itself. Once the cracking gets sever enough, the texture then falls in chunks off the metal. We have had sections repaired but it just comes back after a year or two.

The texture is placed directly over the bare metal, and my thinking is that the metal does not expand with the seasonal humidity/temperature changes and it eventually results in the cracking. I have never seen this any any other home though.

Any ideas what is causing this? My initial thought was that the home builder should have also taped over the metal and then textured.

dmdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Remodeler

The corner beads should have been mudded prior to texturing. The way you post this ? it sounds as though the texture was applied on the corner bead. Next repair should have mud put on first at least 6" into the wall. I have never heard of taping a corner bead.

One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #3

I've seen metal corner bead that was installed with a crimpper that the installer hits a tool with his mallet. Sometimes, they are in a hurry and do not use the fasteners the recommended 6" on center. Then the bead edge gets bumped and loosens the bond then falls off. Now they have paper faced metal tape that is a better bond, if you ask me. I knew a taper that paper taped the ends of the metal/drywall, said it never showed a crack there when bumped on corner.... The metal needs the three coats for thickness to lock in the edge.
Be safe, Gary
Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #4

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

There is no mud applied, the texture is directly over the metal corner bead. The main problems are on the outside corners, especially were they are subject to abuse from the kids. There are also problems up high away from any traffic. The other cracking areas are at the interior corners where the wall(s) meet the ceiling. It cracks right in the crease and looks awful.

I have a outside corner section that is bare for about 36", and there are nails along the bead edge every foot or so that have a wide head like a roofing nail. None of the beading appears to have any sort of additional covering other than the texture. When the texture comes off the metal bead it stops right at the bead edge and does not continue into the drywall areas.

If I were to remove the metal beads on the worst corners, what would be the easiest way for me to fix and retexture them/

Thanks again

Marc
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #5

Just click on a blue page number: http://books.google.com/books?id=Yxv...20bead&f=false
Be safe, Gary
Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #6

Great Gary, thanks, that looks fairly simple.