Opinion: Master Bedroom Remodel - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Opinion: Master Bedroom Remodel

I am currently living in an ~2800 square foot house. There are three floors (full basement and main level, and a slightly smaller 2nd floor).

The layout is this:
Basement - two large open areas, 1 bedroom, laundry room, 1 3/4 bathroom. The entire basement is currently used for an in home daycare that my wife runs.

Main level:
Large Kitchen and Dining room, living room, 3 bedrooms, 1 full bath, one 1/2 bath.
One of the bedrooms is slightly larger, has the attached 1/2 bath and is separated from the other rooms by the dining room and kitchen. The full bath is right by the other two main level bedrooms. The larger bedroom with the bath would have been the "Master" before we moved in but is not very large.

2nd floor:
As you go up the stairs, the full bath is at the top, to the left is a large room (18'x18') and to the right is another large room (15'x15'). This was used as a rental apartment by the previous owners.

We are currently using the left room as our master bedroom.

The question I have is this: what are your opinions to which of these options is the best?

1) Expand the bathroom into the 18x18 bedroom (slightly) and make this entire upstairs a master suite.
Benefits: defines the space, master suites are "in" right now
Downsides: Lose the potential of next buyer using it as a rental area, master suite would be on a different floor than the rest of the bedrooms, Lose lots of "Option" area where a new buyer could choose what to do with the space

2) Keep it as it is
Benefits: Gives the new buyer options
Downside: No real defined master bedroom/bath in the house

Which do you think is the best option?

Thanks

Advertisement

seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

My opinion...

If you're keeping the house for a while, I'd say whole floor as a master suite. If not, keep the layout the same.

Advertisement

myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
DIY-er

Rewards Points: 75

I think it depends on how long you want to live in your home before you sell, and then what is the best selling option for your home. If you know that you will get the best price for selling a home with rental units and you will be selling in 5 years or less, it might be best to just do nothing. If you plan to sell it as a single detached home, then having a master bathroom upstairs on the second floor will increase the value of your home. It sounds like you have space to put a second bathroom in there for the other bedroom on the second floor as well.
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote