Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
fdf

Share |

Old House/ceiling/wall slanted

before I can refinish my kitchen cabinets and add a new backsplash i need to find a solution to a big problem. Above the cabinets the ceiling and wall slant...a lot!! I don't want the eye to see that slant after I get my cabintes & backsplash done...so I keep putting off the project. I just don't know what to do to make the wall/ceiling look level above the cabinets. On the left side, from the top of the cabinets to the ceiling it's 8", on the right side, from the top of the cabinet to the ceiling, it's 6".
Any ideas, suggestion...I need help!! Thanks.
Attached Images

fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #2

Was that kitchen added onto what used to be an old porch? Or have the whole building settle that much?
Judging by that one picture the only way I can see to do it is to remove all the sheet rock on the ceiling add a ledger on the high side of the room set to the height of the top plate on the low side and add all new ceiling joist beside the ones you have now with the joist sitting on top of your low sides top plate.
By doing it that way you could add far more insulation if there's just roof above, and or add can lighting.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
fdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Was that kitchen added onto what used to be an old porch? Or have the whole building settle that much?
Judging by that one picture the only way I can see to do it is to remove all the sheet rock on the ceiling add a ledger on the high side of the room set to the height of the top plate on the low side and add all new ceiling joist beside the ones you have now with the joist sitting on top of your low sides top plate.
By doing it that way you could add far more insulation if there's just roof above, and or add can lighting.

The house was originally two rooms and this room, the kitchen, was added later...we live in rural Wyoming, on a farm, and when folks homesteaded here, they started with a room or two, then added on. Also, no doubt the house has settled quite a bit right in the middle, which would be to the right of the photos.

Now...are you telling me we'd have to make a new ceiling? I'm not sure what you are saying... install a hanging ceiling?
Sorry, I don't mean to sound stupid, so please explain your idea a little more...thanks so much!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #4

Building the ceiling down with 2x4's that are cut on a diagonal could be a solution.

Lowering the ceiling by 2" on the high side, and not at all on the low side.

Hang new rock on the level framing and finish.

I would definitely look into what was the cause of that 2" slope though. Is it from sag, or is it just the way it was built?

Is the floor level?
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
fdf

It's a long story, about this house...but, no, nothing is very level or plum...we need to get under the house, a dirt crawl space, and jack it up in the middle, but that wall has been like that forever...we've been here for 5 years, but my husband and his brothers were raised here, my father in law lived here for 50 years...then we bought the place, it's a farm, and we farm for a living, and had the place remodled, new windows, siding, roof, electrical, plumbing...then did the inside DIY. I should have had that wall fixed as you suggested when we did all that work...your suggestion for a fix is just what it needs...a new ceiling!!

Well, not sure what I'll do now...maybe find out how much it would cost to hire someone to fix the ceiling...but first, I guess we need to address the problem of jacking the house up in the middle where it's sinking.

Goodness