Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #1

Share |

Old basement....need ideas...

Hello all, i am finally in the position to tackel my basement and hopefully turn it into a gameroom.

My home was built in 1910. It is a full basement with lally colums, i am having a contractor come and take those out. My problem is i have 6' cielings.......I have done EXTENCIVE research, talked to many, many contractors about raising the cieling height.... one way is to dig down, cant do that because i was told the footing will want to slide towards the existing hole being dug? Another option is to jack the home up and add a couple courses of block...i really dont have the funds to do that....so now i am left to deal with a 6' cieling. I am sure i can move some plumbing around, move some electric around to accomodate some cieling height. Now i would just like to add a finished look some how without sacrificing cieling height......any and all ideas welcome.

I can add pics if desired

steven

Gman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
the Musigician

Pics ALWAYS help us out here to help YOU, so feel free.
Sounds to me like you have OUR old basement.
I'm over 6' so I always avoided going down there unless absolutely necessary.
I found digging down was a no-no as well.
Others here may/will have other suggestions, I'm sure. Po)

DM

Old 12-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #3

Thanks DM as soon as the wife gets home i'll snap a few pics and put em up
Old 12-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #4

ok here's the photos the first is the wiring i need to cover...keep in mind 6' cielings. The second is the water pipes i would like to move closer to the foundation? The third is just the corner i want to make the laundry room. Most everything in the basement will be moved to my garage when it arrives in JANUARY
Old 12-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

What is with the Electrical Octopus. Hope you have a ACFI on the other end at the breaker box. This just happened locally:

A fire broke out in the basement of a home at 3419 Angelo St. on Saturday. Authorities said electronic equipment in the basement overloaded circuits about 2:45 p.m. Various cords and electronic equipment burned, but fire damage was minimal.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
What is with the Electrical Octopus. Hope you have a ACFI on the other end at the breaker box. This just happened locally:

A fire broke out in the basement of a home at 3419 Angelo St. on Saturday. Authorities said electronic equipment in the basement overloaded circuits about 2:45 p.m. Various cords and electronic equipment burned, but fire damage was minimal.
Yes the entire box was upgraded while remodling our kitchen
Old 12-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #7

What holds up the house after the lally columns are removed?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #8

Hi, I am a concrete contractor an I just finished a job simular to what you doing. The landlord (Older house) had to jack hammer the floor out an dig down the grade to make the ceiling 7"1" to meet code. Well, what he did not figure was by the time he got the grade right that the footings were above the grade of the floor (Did not think was very smart move for him to start with)
peacefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefrog View Post
Hi, I am a concrete contractor an I just finished a job simular to what you doing. The landlord (Older house) had to jack hammer the floor out an dig down the grade to make the ceiling 7"1" to meet code. Well, what he did not figure was by the time he got the grade right that the footings were above the grade of the floor (Did not think was very smart move for him to start with)
So you thought the job, "ill advised", but you did it anyway. When it was filed for, did the building dept okay this? Did it pass inspection?
Ron
Old 12-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #10

I did not take the job, I did not want my name to be on that mess. I did see a few weeks later that a mexican crew that I know for a fact has no insurane was pumping it threw the window, so I know he got it done. I would be suprised if he does not get red flagged for that mess.
peacefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
What holds up the house after the lally columns are removed?
Ron
usually steel I beam or what ever the engineer will tell me they r going to use
Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefrog View Post

and thats when the footings want to cave in or move towards the hole...im just gonna deal with having 6' cielings and like it....im not even going to waste money trying to do something that i alread know cant b done
Old 12-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman775 View Post
usually steel I beam or what ever the engineer will tell me they r going to use
I have 2 steel "I" beams and still have columns.
Ron
Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I have 2 steel "I" beams and still have columns.
Ron
Of course you should check to see what is code...maby they require you to have it. without pics it's hard to tell. i got in contact with Lally Gone a local business here in n.j.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
Ultimatetouch

Most basement remodeling jobs involve some clean up of wiring. If you are talking to guys and there saying you cant dig out a basement thats not true. Keep looking finding the guy who knows what he is doing is not easy but they are out there. I dug out many basement for people with old basements and no ceiling height. I have dug 6' basements to 8 or 9' no problem. It can get pricey but knowing what and how to do it efficiently can make it more affordable then one might think. 6' is pretty low I would think hard and find someone who had dug a basement out. If you decide to just go with what you have then clean the plumbing and electrical up really good. Then you could prepare and paint the joist cavities with a good primer and paint for a cool lofty type of look!

ultimatetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ultimatetouch For This Useful Post:
Gman775 (12-07-2010)