Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to ckellyusa
Share |

Office remodel, lighting options and opinions please!

Hello!

I'm tuning one of my small spare rooms into an office and was hoping to get your ideas and opinions on a few options. The room is approximately 12' x 12' with 8' ceilings. I have smoothed out all the walls and started painting over the weekend (the paint ended up being a tad darker than I wanted) and have decided I need to figure out the lighting options.

I love the look of cove lighting, but that's more for accent lighting, not whole room lighting correct? Is the ceiling is too low to add a tray? Should I just put a ceiling fan with a light kit in the room as that was in there before? Should I install recessed lighting (how many?) instead? Any combination?

I don't really know where I should go, what is proper, what would look best. The room currently has old carpet, someday I hope to replace it with wood flooring, but that will be a little ways down the road. I do plan to have baseboards and crown molding in there as well as a painted chair rail (just a painted line divider, no wood)

Other than that, the room has a narrow closet that I will be using for storage. I was thinking of having a rope light in there that outlines the door frame on the inside to have light at every shelf level, does that idea work too?

I can provide pictures later if you would like.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ckellyusa; 05-25-2010 at 05:20 PM.
ckellyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #2

If this is a showroom, some of the things you mention seem OK, but task lighting(desk lamps) is what I use for my office. I am the only one here, and I need to see what I am doing, not highlight the space.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to ckellyusa

I understand that and after doing some more thinking, I've nixed the cove lighting and tray ideas, but that still leaves the ceiling fan with a light or ceiling fan + recessed lights. Any opinions on that?
ckellyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Personally I'd add the ceiling fan whether it has a light kit or not. Bear in mind that recessed cans are more of a "directed" downlight specific to an area. That's fine if it's the look/feel you want. The light kit on the fan can spread more "general" light over the room. It's really a matter of preference.....