DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

odd size tub surround

21K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Ron6519 
#1 ·
The wife picked out a tub that is 32 x 66. Since I can find no pre-made nice tub surrounds (for a shower/tub) that size I need to customize one. I found the Swanstone solid material that is available in sheets and has the trim available but it's a little expensive for my wallet.

Does anyone know of an acrylic panel that can be cut to size? How about ready-made trim for it? Sure appreciate any ideas.

Don
(snakefan moniker is for Kenny Stabler of Oakland Raiders fame)

#2 ·
Why not tile the wall?
Or get a standard size tub.
It's better to plan a bathroom conceptually so you know you can get all the material needed before the tools come out.

#3 ·
(snakefan moniker is for Kenny Stabler of Oakland Raiders fame)
Good to know Don!:wink:

You can buy simple acrylic sheets for tub surrounds (as you know).
You can also buy acrylic corners for tub surrounds that have shelves molded into them. (as you probably know)

I'm wondering if you can install the acrylic sheets short of the corners then cover the gaps with the acrylic corners...don't know.

You can also buy complete acrylic shower surround kits that contain all that stuff, maybe they are a little expandable.

Sixty-six inch tubs aren't everywhere but they aren't uncommon. I'll bet there is a kit for that tub somewhere. Call Kohler.:)

#4 ·
Ron, I'm on my own well in the country and the water has heavy iron. I can't keep rust stains out of tile grout. Otherwise, tile would be the best option.

Bud - I may be Google impaired, but I've been having problems finding a source for plain acrylic panels that are of a size that will fit without seams on the back wall. I guess you were saying I may find a shelf fixture that may cover the seam? What source do you have that sells plain acrylic panels that are of a decent thickness?

I also erroniously thought there would be no problem finding material for a 66 inch tub. Although they are usually made for dropping in a framed platform with no shower, they are not at all uncommon. Mine is a drop-in tub, but came with tile flanges attached to the edges.

Don

#5 ·
Ron, I'm on my own well in the country and the water has heavy iron. I can't keep rust stains out of tile grout. Otherwise, tile would be the best option.
Don
I have a customer in upstate NY with a similiar problem. Rust stains in the sink, toilet and tub. We put in a whole house filter and eliminated the problem. Filter ran $25. and is changed twice a year.

#7 ·
Bud - I may be Google impaired, but I've been having problems finding a source for plain acrylic panels that are of a size that will fit without seams on the back wall.
I don't think I have ever seen a single-piece large enough for the backwall without a seam. The kits I have seen have four panels, two of which are intended for the larger wall. Handling and shipping would be an issue with panels any bigger, then all the money a person saves in going-cheap would be spent on transportation.
I guess you were saying I may find a shelf fixture that may cover the seam?
Correct.:)
What source do you have that sells plain acrylic panels that are of a decent thickness?
I don't have a source per se, I have seen the units at home centers. They aren't something I deal with.:)

I have seen a product called "Dairy Board" used in such applications, look into that.:) Dairy Board comes in 4' X 8' sheets.:) If you aren't against "rigging" that would be a decent way to do it and it would look good.:) Dairy Board is typically considered a commercial product that is used in food service and hospitals and agriculture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.