Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

numerical door locks

we would like to install the keyless numerical door locks on our front door, but we've heard most builder grade locks ($125) wear out in 12-14 months. Is this true, and if so is there a higher grade or better brand you can reccommend.

bslawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,028

numerical door locks

Not sure where the industry experts would rate them, but I am extremely pleased with the Schlage keyless deadbolt locks that I installed coming up on three years ago. There are probably better locks, Medeco as an example, but when looking at a lock for your home, in my opinion, you need to evaluate more than just the door lock. For example, we have Medeco's at my business, but the steel doors are set in block walls, and the windows, in addition to being extremely hard to squeeze through, are darn near bullet proof. On the other hand, my home has windows that could be more easily breached in the event that a determined criminal wanted in, so while I have deadbolts on all of the doors, I did not feel that I needed to get too carried away with it. I do always encourage anyone who is doing anything with exterior doors to make sure that their hinge scres are long enough to extend into the framing, and if not, to replace them with screws that do.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 156

numerical door locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
I do always encourage anyone who is doing anything with exterior doors to make sure that their hinge screws are long enough to extend into the framing, and if not, to replace them with screws that do.
That is a good idea for ANY door! I always make sure the hinges are shimmed and screwed to framing even on interior doors. It will help the door and jamb resist sagging over the years much more than it will ever stop a thief though. It might make them kick it a couple times instead of once though. Even with a deadbolt the latch side is still the weak point. At my house there may be a surprise on the other side.

As for the locks, I have Schlage keypad locks on my house front and back, they have been there two years and still have the original battery. Two friends liked them so much they put them on their place too. All have worked great so far. They are very convenient and I would not hesitate to buy them again.

http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-FE595V...7303211&sr=8-3
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote