Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newbie with Kitchen remodel question

HI all! Our house was built in 1997 and it was a spec home. The kitchen cabinets are oak with a honey colored stain. They are pretty basic in design. Flat drawer fronts and a flat panel cabinet that has a small routered framing of the "flat panel"..I hope that makes since.

We have already purchased the flooring and back splash which is travertine. We got a quote from a home improvement store to get new cabinets and the cabinets alone were $14K. SOOOOO we are now tryng to decide if we should redo our existing cabinets...restain or by new doors and build new boxes. My concern though is either way how will the boxes match the doors? Our current boxes have some sort of "plastic" type sides, not wood like the doors. So how will I get the cabinet facing and the sides to match?

The colors we have liked so far in looking at new cabinets seem to be either maple or cherry cabinet with a chocolate glaze. How can I get oak to look like this? Oak has such a distinct grain pattern. I am not opposed to the grain I just want it to look more upscale than it currently does. I hope this all makes sense.

milomlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,452

You will be able to buy solid wood end panels to hide the cheap laminated cabinets sides---These will come from the same company that makes your door and drawer fronts---

The existing face frames will be covered with a wood veneer--stained and finished to match the door color----

Google--how to reface cabinets----Have fun---Mike----

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Post some photos of the cabinets so we can see what the construction is.
Building kitchen cabinets requires a certain skill set and the correct tools. If you lack either, the results will be worse then you have now, with the kicker of having spent considerable money on materials.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

I agree with Ron6519. I looked into building my own cabinets, and unless you have your own shop, complete with table saws, routing and planing equipment and paint/staining facilities, it is a fools errand.

If you had to build one cabinet and could borrow facilities I could see it, otherwise it makes sense to outsource.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Theres always IKEA.......
Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #6

I just got done remodeling my kitchen. I completely gutted it to the studs and floor joists. I had to replace beams under the floor and all the studs in one of the exterior walls. I replaced my cabinets with a dark maple, solid wood cabinet with soft close doors and cabinets. I paid 2500-3000$ for my cabinets. If you google RTA cabinets (means ready to assemble) you will find tons of info and places you can order them from. I got mine from the rta cabinet store in King of Prussia PA because I am close enough I could pick them up to save the shipping. I attached a couple of pics of the cabinets, excuse the mess I had all kinds of stuff everywhere because I was doing some work in the kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie with Kitchen remodel question-photo-1.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by pvt9471; 01-07-2011 at 04:46 AM.
pvt9471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #7

Hi pvt9471,

I am in a middle of a remodel (down to the stud as well).

Congratulations for the kitchen remodel it looks really nice.
I wish our kitchen can look as good in few months.

We are looking at options of the kitchen cabinet and looked at the same RTA cabinet company (PA).

We also like the maple cabinet.

Can you comment on the cabinet (quality, ease of assembly, ...)?

We are in California (Bay area) and there is no showroom for this vendor.
mv2rwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #8

Thanks

The cabinets were actually very simple and straight forward to assemble. I really liked the fact that they weren't assembled because they were much easier to store until i was ready to install them. I am also very happy with the quality of them. I think the quality of them is much higher then other, more expensive cabinets I looked at.

The only thing I would be careful with is the plastic pieces that you use with the undermount drawer slides. They are very fragile. I didn't quite understand how they worked right away and there's no instructions and I broke 1.

I looked at a couple different RTA cabinet suppliers and they all seemed to stock the same brands and styles. Maybe you could find another retailer to look at their showroom?
pvt9471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #9

Thanks for the info.
I really like the RTA cabinet option.
One of the concern is that we might not have the pieces we need to fit our kitchen design.

mv2rwc is offline   Reply With Quote