Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Newbie with Bathroom Mold question

Hi everyone! My husband and I have been in the his house for 1 year. She's a old house and needs lots of work. It had a 10 foot extension put on the house with a 2nd level. When we bought this house we knew 2 things 1. The kitchen needed to be done and 2. the bathroom.

We were planning to do the kitchen first, but one day while our boys were having a bath the Plastic wall stuff that you put in a shower fell off. No one was hurt, just scared them. Anyhoo needless to say, we are doing the bathroom NOW. My husband decided that he would cut a piece of the wall back where the most damage is and we discovered some mold. My questions is what do we do?!

Here is some pics of what it looks like, looking for some suggestions from others who have had this experience! Our intent is to remove all the insulation and replace it with new. Should we also replace all the lumber? Where the bathroom is, is where the previous owners put an add on.

TIA
Kelly & Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie with Bathroom Mold question-bathroom-wall-tub.jpg   Newbie with Bathroom Mold question-bathroom-wall-tub2.jpg   Newbie with Bathroom Mold question-bathroom-wall-tub3.jpg  

KellyDuHomeReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Newbie with Bathroom Mold question

Replace the insulation using proper safety equipment to handle the mold. The wood elements can be treated and they will be fine. Is there a shower or just a tub?

THEN use the proper materials to install the new wall. Regular drywall like you have now IS NOT a "proper material" so don't do that again.

Obviously the first wall-protection system didn't work so well so you naturally need to improve on that technique next time around.