Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Share |

New Partition Wall Under I-Beam in Basement

Hi group,

I need to put up a new partition wall in my finished basement to split the basement into 2 rooms - a play room for the kids and an office for me. The natural location is to put the wall under the steel i-beam that splits the room by a third.

The i-beam is 4" wide. It is currently boxed-in and covered with painted wood paneling - which I will remove and drywall the new wall flush up to the ceiling. The beam is only 75" in height. This leaves me with 2 questions:

1. Should I go with a 2x6" studded wall to ensure I can completely cover the I-beam on both sides vs going with a 2x4" studded wall which will only allow me to cover 1 side of the beam ( play room side ) when rocked. Then, I would either have to some how box-in the other side of the i beam, above the partition wall, or leave it exposed.

2. How would I get a door in this wall, if the height to the beam is only 75"? Obviously I would like a way to shut-out the play room when I am working in the office and the kids are in the play room.

Any suggestions would be welome

BenLehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

I usually prefer to build the wall beside the beam. Then you can box the other side. As for the door, you can cut it down shorter, although at that height it will be ridiculously short.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

You are correct about the door under the i-beam.

I was thinking of either some type of special order pocket door kit or adding a second wall, on the office side of the i-beam (making the office smaller in size), and putting a door on this wall which would be an 8' wall.
BenLehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #4

I had a similar situation with a client. We built the wall up against the beam and installed a pocket door. Then furred out the beam and boxed it in sheet rock.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

Turn the door and wall on a 45 into the playroom...just the 4 ft section of wall the door is on.
Hammer450R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement wall, drywall, i beam, i-beam, partition wall