Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

Share |

New Partition Wall To Outside Wall

Hello!

I have a "L" shaped room and basically sectioning it into two, leaving an office and (soon to be) walk in closet.

The framing extension that I am creating will be running to an outside wall, currently fully drywalled with vapor barrier and insulation.

As fate would have it, there is a single 2x4/2x6 in the wall where the new framing will extend to.

I can cut out the drywall to the studs on either side, insert more full size blockers, creating more surface for the new framed wall to attach to, and of course replacement drywall.

I believe I can also simply attach the end of the framing to the wall and screw through the existing drywall into the lone stud, giving me some decent bracing...eliminating a lot of drywall fix.

Is one method preferred over the other? On that wall is already a removed 4" strip of drywall where other framing has been removed, plus an electrical outlet that I might relocate back into the office side, so it seems a lot easier to just tear out all the drywall and place two new sheets for the sake of continuity and less visible patches everywhere...and then place blocking members since I am in there anyways...

I would love to hear thoughts on this!

Thanks for help in advance...

Kevin.

TDD99CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

One method preferred over the other? The method that requires the least work is preferred. There's no sense in removing drywall if you can screw through it and catch something.

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #3

Leave the drywall s it. Pu t your 2x4 on top of it. if you can screw in great, if you can't then you can angle screws top and bottom and hit the plates and use drywall adhesive and "glue" on the center part.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote