Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New office in the basement

hello all,
I am looking for a bit of advice on moving my office down to the basement. The previous owner built a room in the basement to be used as an office but didnt finish it before selling. The office is againest the outside wall on the back, is open to the basement on the left and front and makes up on of the wall for the basement garage/work shop on the left. The heat/air run thru the attice so I do not have that in the office until i can purchase a unit strictly for the basement.
my question would be, what all can i do to make the office safe to put some epensive electronics in without having to wory about moisture, hot cold, etc? I can go back and insulate the rooms walls and then do whatever else is needed, but i just want to make sure my computer and files and paperwork will be ok.
thanks

sleepy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #2

A heat source. Complexity varies with your budget. Simple and safe would be those oil filled radiators you plug in. You can do electric radiant, or hot water radiant with a stand alone ventless hot water heater. Choices are wide and varied.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #3

so what do you think about the electronics and such? I currently have some quite expensive hobby stuff in there and the electronics seem to be fine...
sleepy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #4

You want the electronics in a controlled, ie heated environment. A cold room can lead to condensation on the metal parts. Water is not a friend to these items. The room is heated whether you're in it or not, just like the rest of the house.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote