Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #1

Share |

New Kitchen required

We moved into our new house over the weekend and my wife has requested a new kitchen. I am not much of a DIY man but I am will to design the kitchen using a kitchen planner and in doing so I have discovered an issue. The room itself is large and has 2 windows, the kitchen currently only uses half of the room. The 2nd half is just for dining atm. I intend to use the whole room but the 2nd window is lower than the other window meaning that the countertops would be too high and would be above the base of the window itself. I have no idea why the windows are different heights but its annoying. What would you suggest as a resolution? I can post pics and measurements next week, no internet until then, (doing this at work).

wedge22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #2

New Kitchen required

Countertops of differing heights within the same kitchen are not uncommon. I often see lower kitchen worksurfaces under windows or other architectural features. I think you could use it to your advantage and no one will ever know you didn't want it that way.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

New Kitchen required

If you post a few pics of the site and then give dimensions for the space you want to use, I'll give ya my professional opinion.

and I agree with KC, different heights are all the rage these days
Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
Edie

New Kitchen required

Lower counters are ideal for different tasks like rolling pastry and cookie dough, and kneading bread. The ideal counter top choice for this type of work surface is marble. Butcher block is also a great surface option and another is stainless steel. Ideally this work surface is different from the regular-height counter... so, for example, granite for the counters and butcher block for the shorter work surface would look great.

The average height for this type of counter - for the average woman - is 28 to 29"... or exactly dining table height.
EdinDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #5

New Kitchen required

I had to do the same in my new kitchen. It worked out that the window was outside of the "work triangle", so I used shorter cabinets to make a computer desk/task area. To help make this appear "intentional" consider doing different depths of wall cabinets. These two things will really add dimension!
dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #6

New Kitchen required

I will try and post pics soon, not allowed to use the work pc's to do that though
I explained the idea of different heights to my wife, she did not like the sound of it, do you have any examples that I can show to her.
I measured the height of the lower window from the floor, it 2'1"
Old 08-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Edie

New Kitchen required

I suspect that 25" (2'1") is probably too low for an affective work counter... 3-4 inches is substantial.

But... I still think a shorter cabinet is a great solution for the space in front of your window... it just wouldn't be a work/prep space. Perhaps it could be used for a potted herb garden... perfect spot, in front of the window!

What I think would look great = not only build the cabinet lower, but build it out a few inches... make it a different colour... highlight it with details like feet so that it looks different from the other cabinets (I'm thinking, rather then making it look like you're fixing a problem [i.e., fitting the cabinet to the window] - make it look like you had a special cabinet that called for a longer window [i.e., fitting the window to a loved cabinet]). Here's an example:

Obvioulsly this isn't a shorter cabinet, but I think you get the gist. You could have lighter cabinets and a darker "special cabinet" or, like this example, darker with a lighter short cabinet.

Here's another example of where someone has included a special cabinet into the line of kitchen cabinetry. I'm not suggesting you install pink cabinets!!

Of course these kitchens are very traditional...

Another option to consider... keep the lower cabinet the same as all the rest, but make it bench height (with 2 drawers in it - and a cushion on it)... it'd be a perfect spot for the kids to perch when Mom and/or Dad is making cookies!

Again... make your solution look purposeful, not like a fix to a problem!

I found some renderings of shorter cabinets...

Unfortunately I couldn't find any photos of shorter cabinets NOT on an island.

BTW... if you like a more traditional style, and you like the idea of making this little cabinet special and unique, something like the blue cabinet at the end of the island above could look great - glass doors showcasing a few special things... or shelves for cookbooks.

Good luck!!

Last edited by EdinDesign; 08-07-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #8

New Kitchen required

How about creating a decorative storage cabinet under and perhaps on each side of the window with glass doors? I'd have to see the design, but I agree that it could be an interesting focal point.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Nia

New Kitchen required

Creating a work station would allow you to utilize the window. I don't know if you drink coffee or wine but turning the area into a coffee bar or wine storage cabinet may be another idea.

Nia
Nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #10

New Kitchen required

Once we see some photo's and room sizes I'm sure you'll get some ideas.

As a thought you might try something like this if it's an adjoining wall window.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #11

New Kitchen required

Thanks for all of the ideas, I should have internet tonight when I get home, so I will post pictures and measurements then.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #12

New Kitchen required

Ok internet is working now, I will post pics and measurements tonight.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #13

New Kitchen required

Here are some pictures as promised.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/wedge22/Kitchen

Their is a plan on the link too with measurements.

Last edited by wedge22; 08-24-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:16 AM   #14

New Kitchen required

So any thoughts then guys?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
Edie

New Kitchen required

You know Wedge... my first tought when I saw the photos of your kitchen may not be what you want to hear... replace the windows. Perhaps it's my problem, but I'm just not a fan of these types of windows - they're dated looking and, as far as I understand, far from energy efficient.

Further, if you replace the windows you'd be in a position to install a window in your current eating area that is the correct size, and in the correct position to accomodate lower cabinets in the standard height. If this particular window was a little narrower, you could also consider a tall pantry-type cabinet in the corner (btw - I feel the two windows should be the same size). I realize that this would involve some wall tear out as you'd have to reconfigure your sill, king studs, etc. - although this task is far from a big deal, really.

If replacing the windows is out of the question, then I would encourage you to consider the options shared above. I particularly like the idea of a bench with storage underneath (pillows can be perched on the wall under the window) OR a shorter cabinet whose counter could be used for an herb garden, or a place to showcase those pretty kitchen accessories that are used less often (i.e., keep them on this counter, pull them to a work surface when using them [perfect example: kitchen aid mixer - love to have them around, but they take up tons of storage - it's perfect when they have a designated display space {cause we love to see them!} in the kitchen.]).

If you were planning on wrapping the lower cabinets around this corner and onto the eating area wall, then I - again - urge you to consider installing a smaller window. I say this because I can see that you don't have enough depth for a lower cabinet along this wall as long as the window is as low as it is.

Hope these thoughts help...