DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New doors to bring life o an old cabinet

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  DexterII 
#1 ·
I have a old bathroom vanity that is in good shape but is out dated. I was thinking about removing the doors and installing something with a more modern look. Has anyone done this and is it easy to get doors like that.
J

#4 ·
Or you could make them. Depends on the style you want and the tools and skill set you have.
Flush doors with an applied molding can be done easily with a few basic tools.

#5 ·
That's exactly what I did with one of our vanities, which looked fresh out of about 1970, give or take a few years. It was perfectly functional, but had 3/4" thick surface mounted doors with leuvers the size of what would be on a full size door, and bold brass hinges, causing it to demand the attention of anyone who walked in there. All I did was remove the doors and hinges, plugged the holes, cut out a set of much thinner flush mount doors, probably 3/8" or so, threw on some paint, installed a set of much smaller white hinges (could have used hidden ones except that I these in the shop if I recall correctly), and some small white door knobs with flowers painted on them. It instantly improved the entire room, and we have since received quite a few compliments on our "beautiful country vanity". Not bad for probably $5 in hardware and some leftovers in the shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.