Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |

New bathroom

We want to enlarge our bathroom to make room for a shower by extending outside. The plan is to extend it from the wall to the door, and bring it out flush with the sliding glass wall. (see picture attached). We will come out with the bathroom as far as the ceiling will permit and the rest of the length will be either an outdoor shed or built in cabinates for the kitchen.The problem is what to do with the roof. Our thought was to put a solid insulated ceiling on it and then put a tin roof on it as it now has. Then it will look like part of the house from the inside, and will look like a shed from the outside (I thought covering it with lattice would help make it look like a shed).
In the pictures you can see how the patio looks now and the size of the existing bathroom. Will this look good in the end or is there a better idea.
Attached Thumbnails
New bathroom-house.jpg   New bathroom-house2.jpg   New bathroom-bathroom.jpg  

debd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #2

New bathroom

The whole tin roof idea of building the bathroom over the existing patio is possible, but probably not ideal. A couple issues worth consideration:
  • Your new walls must have a frost footing under them. Simply building on the patio will lead to failure in no time.
  • You're also going to need to break out the patio to facilitate the installation of plumbing.
  • The idea of using an insulated ceiling is interesting, but I'm curious about your planned method of doing this and how much headroom will be sacrificed.
  • Making it look like a shed....In my opinion....Is the worst possible idea as far as added value to your home. If you want your investment to be worth anything to anyone else at resale the job needs to be professionally done (either DIY or by a contractor) and needs to look professionally done, not retrofitted. Lattice, tin roofs and additions under existing patio roofs SCREAM unprofessional no matter how nice you try to make it look. I'd save my money and build the new bathroom as an addition as opposed to trying to cram it under the existing patio roof.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

New bathroom

I would suggest you draw views of what the roof will look like. Without a roof that works with the rest of the house you will kill your resale value.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #4

New bathroom

where are you and does that roof you are trying to incorporate leak now? how old is it?
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #5

New bathroom

Thanks for the comments. You've confirmed my suspicions that it would look like junk. We do have the option of extending inside the house into a garage converted into a family room. We realize we'd have to cut thought the cement floor, and move the door. Not sure what else we'd need to be aware of.

Last edited by debd; 01-17-2010 at 05:10 PM.
debd is offline   Reply With Quote