New Basement Window (brick House) - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,040
Question

new basement window (brick house)

hi. my house is brick and the wall is 3 layers, so about a foot thick. it's a 100yr old house. i want to drill a hole for a 32x18 sliding window (building a basement apartment).

several questions:

1. i was gonna use two lintel plates, one on each side of the hole on top to hold the weight of the structure above it and then use a regular circular saw with a diamond blade and maybe some long drill bits for an SDS+ hammerdrill to slice up the opening and then sort of hammer it out with a 3-lb hammer. is this a safe approach or should i use a really big circular saw that has a gas motor like a chainsaw but that still wouldn't be able to penetrate half a foot on each side?

2. i plan to not integrate the window with the 2x4 framing inside since the wall is so thick so the window is gonna be as though there is no framing at all. i have a solution how this will fit in the picture but my question is whether there are special windows that are made to be installed in brick/masonry only vs. those that rest on wood construction?

thanks

Advertisement

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can rent a concrete saw that will get you there. You will need to make cuts on both sides.
These living quarters will need multiple means of egress. Do you have an egress window or two doors to the exterior?
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #3

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
These living quarters will need multiple means of egress. Do you have an egress window or two doors to the exterior?
Ron
i am not understanding this. thanks for your response.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

any living space (basement apartment) will need two means of egress (two ways of getting out if there is a fire). Also, two ways for a fireman to get in. The access for a fireman needs to be big enough for him to enter when wearing an air tank. manufacturers of windows will tell you if the size meets most egress requirements. Your local building codes department may have different requirements.

A window might, or might not, meet egress requirements depending on the size, how it opens and what is outside the window.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
i am not understanding this. thanks for your response.
The only way in and out can't be restricted to one flight of basement stairs. If it is, you can't have people living there.
The last price frame for an egress window cut through a poured concrete foundation was about $5400. That was 7 years ago on Long Island, NY.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #6

there is a front door to the street and a rear door to the backyard/parking. this window i am planning would not be large enough for "egress".
Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

The basement has a front door and a rear door, or do you have to go up the stairs to get to these doors?

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
The basement has a front door and a rear door, or do you have to go up the stairs to get to these doors?
nope, they are just for the basement. i knocked the upstairs stairs down so the unit is completely separate.

Advertisement