Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2006, 08:37 PM   #1

Share |

Need some help

Putting in new kitchen cabints.. I have a block wall with drywall up and furrring stips behind where the cabinets are going. Ferring strip is 3/4 inch. dryall 1/2 inch and cabinet 1/2 .. what is the best way to attach cabinet to wall.. Thanks Spencer

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Putting in new kitchen cabints.. I have a block wall with drywall up and furrring stips behind where the cabinets are going. Ferring strip is 3/4 inch. dryall 1/2 inch and cabinet 1/2 .. what is the best way to attach cabinet to wall.. Thanks Spencer
You really need thicker wood on the block wall for the cabinets to attach to.
3/4 " is really not adequate to support the cabinet's weight and the weight of what you store in it.

I would suggest that you pre-drill holes thru the drywall and the wood furring strips .... into the block wall. Try using concrete 'anchor' type fasteners there. Use the screws with finish washers on the cabinet surface side..... to attach the cabinets with....and open up the anchors. That way, you are attaching to the solid block wall and not to 3/4" strips of wood....which will split and will most likely separate from the block wall.

.... In any event, Look into wall anchors ... and attach into the concrete block wall...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote