Need Some Advice On My Corner Shower/ See Pic - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 284

Need some advice on my corner shower/ see pic

I'm installing a corner shower and it's turning out to be a disaster. Something isn't square. When the shower is completely butted into the corner, a few of the studs aren't touching the flange.

Regardless, the shower pan is installed and I'm now attaching the furring strips. The pic below is the shower with the vapor barrier up, but since I had to install furring strips, I had to tear down the barrier and add the strips. WIll put up the barrier when the strips are in.

The problem is, not all furring strips are the same size. They are all different since some of the studs are further away than others.

After putting in the strips, when I check for plumb around the base by the bottom part of the furring strips, it looks good. As I move my level up the wall along the strips, it seems some of the middle strips become too thick, causing my level to teeter totter.

How should I fix this? I thought about running a belt sander up the strips where it isn't plumb so I have the best flattest surface for my Permabase.

Also, once the cement board and tiles are installed, they won't be level with the existing drywall. In fact, because of the furring strips, the tile will be more than a 1/2 inch away from the drywall. How do you conceal the edge or make it look good?

Advertisement

Daugela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I am faced with a similar issue with my bathtub surround right now. I think that you have a few choices. First off having furring strips in place will make your cement backer proud of the drywall. So you could either not use the furring strips and butt up the cement backer right to the lip of the shower pan without overhanging it, or you could try to notch the studs a little and sink the flange into the stud 1/4 or so. I would use a belt sander or better yet power plane to straighten out the studs. For the bowed in ones you might be better off sistering some new 2x4s right next to them. Aside from all of that I have seen pictures of shower surrounds where they have a thin piece of tile returning back to the drywall, sort of covering exactly the area where the cement board is proud to the drywall. You might have to get creative there, but it looked pretty good. At any rate i think that plastic you have hanging on the studs should be draped over the pan flange and not behind it.

Advertisement

russiand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 284

Thanks for the n put. Yes, I notched out the studs and sunk in the pan. Worked good. I also draped over the barrier.
Daugela is offline   Reply With Quote