Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
Trailerhome FTW!

Share |

Need some advice

Hey everyone. I have a a 23 year old 16x80 trailerhome (mobile home...that's just what I call it ) that needs some pretty extensive repair. I paid $1,500 for it, and I've been living it for a little over a year now. It's liveable, just not very energy efficent. Here are some issues:
  • The front door has big gaps between the door and frame
  • The door frame is not very tightly secured to the house
  • The roof leaks. The guy who owned it before I resealed the roof every year with something called "cool-seal". I really want to replace the roof.
  • The pressborad kitchen cabinets are falling apart.
  • In one of the three bedrooms, there is a hole between the wall and the floor below a window. I believe this was hurricane damage.
  • The polybutylene keeps breaking. You should have seen how this guy had the crap rigged up. It's leaking again under the second bathroom, which isn't being used right now, so I plan to start replacing it ASAP with Pex as soon as I get paid. It broke numerous times during the winter.
  • I have a single LG 23,000 Btu AC/heating window unit for the entire house. It works fairly well, but is a leech on the electric bill. There are vents for a central unit, but at the time it was summer and I was living with a pregnant woman, so it was needed BADLY.
  • It stays extremely dusty in here. The A/C vent is always clogging up.
  • I just got rid of the last mice that came with the trailer, so that's good.
  • There is a slight drip from the water heater.
  • Bugs are always getting in here, especially mosquitos, wasps, and ESPECIALLY ants.
I need some advice on what to do first. I know I have to fix the water leak which will happen as soon as I can do it, and I'm guessing I need to work on the roof next. I really want to remodel he entire home with a sturdier roof, new plywood for the floors, thicker walls, and larger studs. I have no idea about home improvement or remodeling. My dad knows a great deal, but he's legally blind and that doesn't stop him from DIY jobs (even if they don't turn out as great as they used to). I know enough about building to where I can apply any advice given to me. I have a one year old and another baby on the way, so this is really important. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by chuckrock; 07-14-2008 at 09:38 PM.
chuckrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #2

Need some advice

I'd start with the roof and go from there. Everything else is a nuisance, but a leaking roof will cause real damage.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote