Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Share |

Need ideas for ugly half wall

My house was built in the late 70's. There's a half wall dividing my entryway from my living room. The entryway is 20x6 and the half wall is about 12 foot long with ugly barley twist bars. Its so ugly and I'm dying to rip it out but need some ideas. I don't mind leaving the half-wall, but am definitely getting rid of the ugly barley twist bars. Any ideas?

cynwil710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

1. remove the wall entirely

2. build the wall into a full wall

3. install a glass upper section for the 1/2 wall; could be glass block, stained glass, colored glass, clear glass, whatever strikes your fancy.

4. set a chair near the wall for your mother in law to set in when she is at your house so the wall does not look so ugly by comparison.

I'm kidding about one of the above suggestions.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #3

Actually, I had thought about the glass blocks already, just don't know if I want the stupid wall there at all. If I remove it, I'm scared I'll hate the way it looks.... remodeler's remorse.

So building the full wall is the one you WERE kidding about???
cynwil710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #4

I don't know, but if the MIL was over often enough, you could just leave the entire wall alone and take the chair route, but you'll probably need some sort of alcoholic beverage at regular intervals to get the right effect. Condition and attitude of the MIL will dictate whether that beverage be beer or scotch.

Not all 70's architectural details are awful, but most tend to be. All I can imagine at this point is some 70's country kitschy railing that makes me either want to puke, or make a complete mockery of it by hanging a wagon wheel chandelier and some of that bicentennial themed wallpaper in the room.

Back to serious business... I'm having trouble offering an idea because I can't see the offending wall, and I bet I won't be the only one. I think if you post a picture or two that some good suggestions will roll in.
KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

one thing I should have tossed in is; you need to determine if this is a load bearing wall. Not knowing how it is built, if it is open but has a full height section at the end, it could be a load bearing wall. If it is simply a half wall all the way, it could not be a load bearing wall, for obvious reasons.

I would say that chances are it is not a load bearing wall but it is very important when determining if it is when deciding what you do with this.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #6

Is the wall deep enough to have shelving built in so that the focus is on the shelving above the half wall (definitely get rid of the bars)...or add decorative glass.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAdams4458 View Post
All I can imagine at this point is some 70's country kitschy railing that makes me either want to puke, or make a complete mockery of it by hanging a wagon wheel chandelier and some of that bicentennial themed wallpaper in the room.

HEY You just described my mother's kitchen to a Tee! LMAO
Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Below Grader

Just a few ideas.

You could transform it into a nice display nook with shelves, to showcase your beloved knick-knacks

If your style is more trendy and contemporary, you could replace the barley twist bars for chrome or stainless steel bars for a cool industrial look.

They should be easier and less messy to install than glass bricks.

You could also try acrylic panels. I was just searching for images and saw some amazing options. Like this one:

http://www.conceptmobilebars.co.uk/i...ters/front.jpg
CyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #9

Tip! check the floor, if you remove the wall completely, you will have to match the floor. If hardwoods, it will be very time consuming to work in new boards, match stain, etc.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAdams4458 View Post
Not all 70's architectural details are awful, but most tend to be.
As someone else with a '70's home, I have to agree. Trying to get rid of the kitschy but keep the integrity of the home is a challenge.

In your shoes I think I would get rid of the barley twist bars, install a couple of bolts in the ceiling and hang a nice piece of stained glass.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
As someone else with a '70's home, I have to agree. Trying to get rid of the kitschy but keep the integrity of the home is a challenge.

In your shoes I think I would get rid of the barley twist bars, install a couple of bolts in the ceiling and hang a nice piece of stained glass.
EXCELLENT IDEA! I am actually thinking about INSTALING a half wall right inside my living room door. Stained glass piece would look GREAT THERE!
Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #12
Renovations contractor

Wow the spammers have been busy on here today ... But back on topic; if you made it a full wall then you could create a mud room / cloak room area and keep draughts / winter from the living room ... Unless you're somewhere hot in which case ignore that :-)
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
Oldguy

If the barley twist bars were well made, make sure you salvage and save them. Styles come back around eventually. I have rehabbed Victorian houses and the things people destroyed or cut up in the name of style are crazy.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote