Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
sil

Share |

Need help with this soon!

If I have a peninsula that is 24 inch by 60 inch, can i get pre-fabricated granite for the 24 inch depth?

Last edited by sil; 11-23-2007 at 10:59 AM.
sil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
I have changed my plan slightly for my kitchen renovation. I would like to add a peninsula. Can it be 24 inches by 58 inches or does it have to end at 60 inches?

No, but unless you are installing custom cabs you will need to work with available cab demensions, and fillers.

Also, is there a building code in CA that you must leave a walkway of 36 inches or more when you walk into the kitchen?

Not sure of CA code but, 36" sounds like good practice ie. room for two people to pass... moving refrig in and out..

If I have the peninsula to 60 inches from the wall, there will be 34 inches space from the end of the peninsula to the wall. Another way to get in the kitchen is through the garage.

Also, is there a building code that won't allow you to place a side by side refridgerator beside a door that leads to the garage?

As long as you are not interferring with egress you should be ok.
Watch out for door wars.

Also, can I have the light switch change from the kitchen side to the garage side?
Need more info... should be simple to do.

Do you think I can change the design after I signed the proposal?
Like death and taxes... changing your mind after a contract is established will cost you $$$. Call your supplier or Contractor right away... they may be ordering cabs now.. Most states have a three day buyers remorse clause... Contractor should want to work with you on your changes, but do this now.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
If I have a peninsula that is 24 inch by 60 inch, can i get pre-fabricated granite for the 24 inch depth?
Most granite is cut to order. You might find someone that has just your size in the correct flavor, you could also find a neddle in a hay stack.

If you are working with store bought base cabs @ 24" deep most folks want at least a 1" over hang so if you finish the back of your peninsula you may want more than 26" maybe 26 1/4" wide.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote