Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #1

Share |

Need Help with re-design

I want to remodel my master bathroom. I have attached the current layout with some rough measurements.

I am looking for some ideas on a new layout.

I would like to keep everything that I have (double sink, bathtub, shower, enclosed toilet). I just want to enlarge the shower to at least a 4'x6' space to have dual shower heads. And I'm looking at upgrading the finishes- currently it is all carpet flooring!

I know that in order to do this I will need to switch locations of current features and reroute plumbing. Any ideas on how to re-design this?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help with re-design-bathplan.jpg  
ttwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #2

Need Help with re-design

I would just get a really nice corner tub that didnt take up so much room you can find really nice ones... corner tubs take up less space... i used the stock measurement for the tub and sorry if this is a little off i tried with what i had...

anyway here is my little idea...

Need Help with re-design-idea-1.jpg
Grofica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #3

Need Help with re-design

Thanks Grofica. I have looked at corner tubs as that will save some space. One in particular I looked is 54 1/2" x 54 1/2". I'm not sure how much space is needed on either side of that, though, for construction. I would need to lose a foot probably on the double sink/cabinets.

My other ideas are to place the shower where the toilet is now, place the toilet where the shower is and create a separate room for the shower and toilet. I could extend the room closer to the other wall with the added space from moving the tub to the corner.

I'll see if I can find a program to help me do this and post it up here.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #4

Need Help with re-design

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwiss View Post
Thanks Grofica. I have looked at corner tubs as that will save some space. One in particular I looked is 54 1/2" x 54 1/2". I'm not sure how much space is needed on either side of that, though, for construction. I would need to lose a foot probably on the double sink/cabinets.

My other ideas are to place the shower where the toilet is now, place the toilet where the shower is and create a separate room for the shower and toilet. I could extend the room closer to the other wall with the added space from moving the tub to the corner.

I'll see if I can find a program to help me do this and post it up here.
but with so many boxed off "min"rooms wont that make the bathroom feel a LOT smaller???
Old 04-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #5

Need Help with re-design

Yes- that is part of the problem. I want a large shower, but not sure if I can get it with what I have. Here is what I was able to come up with- but it still doesn't really work. Shower is 4' x 5'6"
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2010, 02:02 AM   #6

Need Help with re-design

Maybe something like this will work. I ran out of time and didn't include all the details and didn't shorten up the cabinetry, but I think you'll get the idea.

fitZ

3detailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 AM   #7

Need Help with re-design

oh damn thats better then mine...

what are you using to render?

Need Help with re-design-idea-1.jpg
Old 04-27-2010, 02:37 AM   #8

Need Help with re-design

oh and sorry i had forgot to put the links for these two tubs... (home depot)

on is a whirlpool for 1130 http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

and the other is a normal soaking tub for 724 http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

but the other poster has a better idea i was just searching... anyway hope it helps.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 AM   #9

Need Help with re-design

Quote:
what are you using to render?
If you are referring to my model...actually..nothing. Its just plain ole sketchup. No time to render. Too much cleanup and besides..my computer is just too slow.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 AM   #10

Need Help with re-design

you mean google sketch-up????
Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #11

Need Help with re-design

Quote:
you mean google sketch-up????
You betcha. I love Sketchup. Lots of Rubys(plugins) and renderers. Easy to draw complex models in lots of different styles. PLUS..the 3d Warehouse, where you can find literally MILLIONS of models of almost anything from screws to machine guns. At a click of the mouse, you can download them and insert them into your own model. Where do you think I got the toilet and tub?
Oh,and not to mention.........its FREE!! Speaking of free, there is a killer renderer for
sketchup called Kerkythea. Dang...unbelievable. Although it takes a much more updated computer than mine. Frankly, I'm almost ready to build a new graphics computer with an
Intel i7 quad processor and the unbelievable Nirvada Quadro graphics card. Nirvada is building entire platforms for high end engineering/chemical/physics and 3d movie computers from these cards. Up to four of them on one special motherboard. Holy moly. You can't believe what their doing with these. Do a search on CUDA, which is an entire graphics system.
fitZ

Last edited by 3detailer; 04-27-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #12

Need Help with re-design

is it a big file? I am kind of limited on how much i can download per day.... :-( i want sketch-up
Old 04-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #13

Need Help with re-design

I don't know about that. I'm on a 16meg line and spoiled when it comes to downloading. I never pay attention. Just click and download huge files in SECONDS. You might look it up. I would provide a link, but I'm new here and this bbs doesn't allow newbees to post links right away. But check it out if you can. It should tell you how big the file is. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
fitZ
Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #14

Need Help with re-design

hmmm, I just thought of something. My son knows how to create a Compressed file of Sketchup using something called WinRAW ZIP. I'll ask him about it and maybe I can send you Sketchup with a ton of Plugins. I'll get back to you on that tonight if I can.

fitZ
Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #15

Need Help with re-design

your awesome!