Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need help with Basement Wall/Insulation oprions

I am a recent first time homebuyer, after 7 months in this 5yr old construction, i have noted trouble in the basement with moisture on the foundation block wall at multiple spots. I have ripped out the existing insulation to figure out a solution for this. After having a couple of professionals look, i have decided to let one contractor drill weep holes in the block and place a viny covering upto 6inches onto the block wall and apply 2 coats of commercial grade waterproofing on the walls. The basement is equipped with sump pump, drain tiles and a floating slab.
My dilemma is what to do once this work is done in regards to finishing my basement. Talking to different people meant i received contrasting solutons.
1. Do i use a vapor barrier like plastic, before framing & insulation?
2. What kind of insulation do i choose?
3. Do i use Dry wall? is there any economical alternatives to dry wall in regards to wall options?
4. In regards to flooring on basement, what is the recommended approach?

dryanbloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #2

Before you do all that work. Have you identified the cause of the problem in the first place - where is the moisture coming from. Negative slope on the soil - gutters not properly installed, etc. A local structural engineers opinion might help you in this area - may be a good investment of 3 or $400.

Last edited by Rivethead; 03-14-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Rivethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivethead View Post
Before you do all that work. Have you identified the cause of the problem in the first place - where is the maoisture coming from. Negative slope on the soil - gutters not properly installed, etc. A local structural engineers opinion might help you in this area - may be a good investment of 3 or $400.
The main problem area, is right behind where the plants are beside the front door porch. This area is very wet and grading is not good and everytime it rains, this area is very damp for several days. I plan to grade this area with rearranging the earth as well as add lot of mulch once it is a little warmer.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 10

dryanbloo -

First, you did not have professionals look at your situation and the "salesmen/peddler" that just sold you a water collection system and not a real waterproofing system. A professional may have had you correct the problem and eliminated the interior "toy plastic molding". What they did will have effect on the amount of water leaking into the basement, but just collects it. The high hydrostatic/soil pressure on the wall is still the same.

If correcting the cheap and obvious surface problem did not work, you would be looking at a real interior waterproofing system below the floor and footing. The best solution always starts on the exterior and are obvious. - How long are your downspout extensions?

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
dryanbloo -

First, you did not have professionals look at your situation and the "salesmen/peddler" that just sold you a water collection system and not a real waterproofing system. A professional may have had you correct the problem and eliminated the interior "toy plastic molding". What they did will have effect on the amount of water leaking into the basement, but just collects it. The high hydrostatic/soil pressure on the wall is still the same.

If correcting the cheap and obvious surface problem did not work, you would be looking at a real interior waterproofing system below the floor and footing. The best solution always starts on the exterior and are obvious. - How long are your downspout extensions?

Dick
Would you suggest me contacting a home inspector when you meant 'professional". The downspouts are going into the ground, so i cant tell how far along they are running away from the house. This is a fairly new construction from 2003.
I also did not understand what you meant by "toy plastic molding". Please pardon my ignorance.

Last edited by dryanbloo; 03-12-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 10

The "toy plastic molding" I referred to was the stuff that was applied to the wall to let in the water from the outside. It stops the water from running on the floor and directs it to the drain and ultimately into the sump. It does not really waterproof the foundation but only collects what comes in. It has no effect on the pressure or anything outside the wall.

I am a home inspector and also a professional engineer (40 years experience). As a home inspector, I am a "generalist" and am limited to what I can say because the of liability since the rates charged are so low for typical whole house inspection (which is a bargain for what it does provide). As a professional engineer where I have to certify the report and give my number, I have a different standard of responsibility and liability and the liability can cause great increases in the insurance costs because of the details and responsibility, so my recommendations must be investigated much further and documented. Even a real certified home inspector cannot sell or perform any contracting himself and should give the home owner a number of different contractor recommendations with no referral fees allowed.

It is all a question of how bad your situation is and what you want to invest.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
The "toy plastic molding" I referred to was the stuff that was applied to the wall to let in the water from the outside. It stops the water from running on the floor and directs it to the drain and ultimately into the sump. It does not really waterproof the foundation but only collects what comes in. It has no effect on the pressure or anything outside the wall.

I am a home inspector and also a professional engineer (40 years experience). As a home inspector, I am a "generalist" and am limited to what I can say because the of liability since the rates charged are so low for typical whole house inspection (which is a bargain for what it does provide). As a professional engineer where I have to certify the report and give my number, I have a different standard of responsibility and liability and the liability can cause great increases in the insurance costs because of the details and responsibility, so my recommendations must be investigated much further and documented. Even a real certified home inspector cannot sell or perform any contracting himself and should give the home owner a number of different contractor recommendations with no referral fees allowed.

It is all a question of how bad your situation is and what you want to invest.

Dick
Would it be ok if i attach some pics, of both my basement as well as what i think a problem area is ? Thanks for all your advice. I had a home inspection done in July 08, when i bought this house. At that time, it was warmer, but there were moist areas on the block at that time, and after that once i moved in i pulled out some plants and never had time to regrade/level the ground with areas of ups and downs in that area causing water to stand. Now i notice that foundation wall more damper in this one particular area. There are a few other damp spots in foundation wall around the house, but they are unchanged since i moved in.

Last edited by dryanbloo; 03-12-2009 at 10:38 PM.