DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Remodeling (
-   -   Need Help (

kisses 02-22-2005 04:30 PM

Need Help
I need help I want to change my kitchen sink I am having trouble finding the bottom part of the sink the thing that holds the sink they only sale the sink it's self but not the bottom I don't now what it is called. I want to remove the hole thing and put a new one. I put on the shearch counters,cabinets,frames for sinks I tried everything I can't think of anything else can someone help me Plase Thank you :)

Mike Swearingen 03-17-2005 12:17 PM

A standard kitchen sink is normally held on by clips up under it around the edges of the countertop opening. Unscrew the screws that are holding the clips from underneath first. Remove the clips completely or they could swing back in the way when you're trying to lift it out.
Also, it will probably be caulked down around the edges on top, and you start breaking that with a knife point and flathead scewdriver to loosen it to pry it up and remove the sink.
Of course, before you start removing the sink, you need to turn off the hot and cold water and disconnect all supply and drain lines first. If you have a dishwasher and/or a disposal, disconnect those, too. Make sure that the disposal electrical is off at the breaker panel. You'll only have the dishwasher drain hose connected to the disposer or sink tailpiece.
Good Luck!

Tomm 03-19-2005 11:03 PM

I think what you are refering to is the sink cabinet, or in the case of the bathrom it is called a vanity. I also think you should be in constant contact with someone here as you are doing this job. If it is an older unit that you are removing, you will need to learn a few tricks that will make it a lot easier, or in some cases just to make it do able. Be carefull, and be prepared to get frustrated.

Mike Swearingen 03-21-2005 06:08 PM

Tomm nailed it, and I just misread your question.
What you want is a kitchen sink cabinet base with double doors. Then you install the finished countertop and cut the sink hole out of it with a template that should come with a new sink.
Good Luck!

housedocs 03-21-2005 10:14 PM

do a search for "kitchen base cabinets" on google, you'll find options there, or just stop by your local home center, they will have them on display. Like Tomm said, keep in touch, sounds like you might need some additional help with this. Have you done many diy projects?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1