Need Drywall Help - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10

Need Drywall Help

Hi, newbie here. We recently purchased a 20-year-old house in which the quality of the drywall work is not the best. The biggest problem is in the upstairs bedrooms and master bathroom, which are in dormers, so the walls go straight up for about 64 inches, then slopes at about 45 degrees to the wall. Where the slope meets the straight vertical surface of the wall, it is very wavy along the horizontal line. After taking down the drywall in the bathroom, we can see at least part of the problem -- there is no horizontal framing to keep the drywall straight, so it buckles between the vertical studs. We don't want to tear down the drywall in all the rooms right now (although we recognize that it may be the only solution in the long run), so I'm wondering whether there's any way to cut out a piece (for example, a horizontal strip a few inches wide) just along the seam and insert some kind of support behind, then put some new drywall in. Does this sound feasible and, if so, how would you recommend we go about it?


looking4ideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes, that is a framing question.
Or, shall I say, a framing issue, and not a drywall problem.

Sheetrock is going to form itself to what it is attached to. Generally, what you see in such an area, is wood strapping installed in horizontal straight lines that follow a previously snapped chalk line - for straightness.

About the only thing that comes to mind (without seeing this), & to avoid ripping down all the sheetrock and re-doing it, would be to back the screws out, and attempt to slide a lathing type segment of wide stock behind the areas to give it some kind of "backing" that will keep it a little more unified.
What I mean by the stock, is using a 3/8" by 1-1/2" + strip of wood. This would cause the corner to curve slightly, but (if it worked), would not be really noticable, compared to being able to correct the obvious "blatant" eye-sore.


- Build Well -

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-01-2008 at 06:29 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Superior Walls - Floating Corners & Drywall Woodcutter Drywall & Plaster 16 04-22-2011 12:05 PM
drywall question billyg Drywall & Plaster 3 08-01-2008 09:49 PM
Replacing 12" ceiling tile with drywall housefixin Remodeling 5 09-09-2007 03:00 PM
Drywall thickness on ceiling question. Doug Crf Building & Construction 3 08-28-2006 05:47 AM
Framing and Drywall questions haysdb Building & Construction 5 11-04-2005 07:11 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1