Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #1

Share |

Need Ceiling Tray help!

Hi, I need an advice on the building/electrical code for my tray ceiling project.
I am quite new to DIY, but I've got great imagination and look thru beautiful pictures online, so, I'm trying to implement some of my ideas. I've got a condo on the last (4th floor) in Los Angeles, California with very high ceiling (9' or 10').
I am not raised in the US, so, I am not aware of all legal implications of my projects.
So, for my 3-year old son, I've decided to modify the simple ceiling by adding 12" (horizontal measurement of depth) by 7" (height) by 145" (the entire wall length) frame above his window, add drywall sheets (with screws every 6") and paint as the ceiling.
I have built the frame with two 2x4x142 to have it attached along the wall and where the curtain tracks will go and 2x2 at the edge (I could not get it as one piece 145", so, I had to add a couple small pieces of 2x4 to hold the pieces: I am not sure how to explain it, so, I'll take a picture and attach here when I get home), I nailed with 3" nails two pieces of 2x4x10" (it's short of 12" depth, because 2x2 at the edge runs for the full length 145") on both ends of 2 long pieces and nailed the edge to this with the same 3" nails. 2 nails broke, so, I tried 2.5" screw, but it broke too, so, I've got 1 nail for each piece. I was able to put in 2 nails on one side of the piece that is going to hold the curtain track. Is it necessary to have 2 nails for each piece?
In order to avoid bending of the middle 2x4 and the edge 2x2, I'm going to use IKEA shelf holders upside down (attached to the ceiling studs every 12" or so). They are exactly 7".
I'd like to add Ikea Kvartal tracks to hold room darkening curtains in the middle and some led lights closer to the outside edge (there is no ceiling lights in this room at all, so, I'd like to make a few round LED lights to provide main lighting for this room).

So, I worry, if I am going to violate any building/electrical code requirements in this project and if it's going to be safe to have this frame up there.

Last edited by sitdykova; 04-12-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: make it more to the point from the beginning
sitdykova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
DIY staff

Need Ceiling Tray help!

What you are doing is decorative and does not modify any structure--so you should be fine.

Your light wiring must be done to local code----low voltage may be exempt from most codes---but 110 v. must follow code---

A separate thread in the electrical section will get you the best answers about your wiring---Mike----

sitdykova (04-12-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Need Ceiling Tray help!

If ever in doubt, call an electrician. Money well spent in the long run. Code may require you have one depending on the wiring you are doing---even if you can DIY.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Drywall and Painting Pro

Need Ceiling Tray help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitdykova View Post
(attached to the ceiling studs every 12" or so)
Are you sure the ceiling is wood frame?
Most of the condo ceilings around here are concrete.
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Challenge Everything!

Need Ceiling Tray help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir MixAlot View Post
Are you sure the ceiling is wood frame?
Most of the condo ceilings around here are concrete.
SirMix, these Ceilings here in LA are usually Plaster on older Buildings (pre-60's) and Drywall on the newer ones.
Deja-vue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deja-vue For This Useful Post:
Sir MixAlot (04-17-2013)

Tags
building code, ceiling tray, frame, led lighting, safety