Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #1

Share |

Need advise on kitchen cabinet Remodeling!

Ok, first let me say, great forum. I am new here and looking for some advise, links, proveN success from a source company or any ideas.

I own a 1994 built home that we have been in since new. The home is in Northern Nevada in an area hard hit by home values. a 600K home thats now worth under 400K that I am slightly upside down in.

My issue is this, I wanted to retire and move to Idaho where I have 175 acres, paid off. My dreams are on hold for 3 more years (at least) and we are staying in this home and trying to get it ready to sell, if/when the prices make since.

I have recently taken out the carpet of this 2100 sq ft home and installed travertine myself, my wife and I that is, shes handy too, built a new hearth, wood stove, (it snows here) and planning on new appliances and three years ago we did the counter tops in granite tile and travertine backsplash.

Sorry, getting to the point here- I gave you this info because I am trying to spend as little as possible to update the cabinets. They are the era typical Oak cabinets, not in bad shape, but the home will eventually have to compete against other more modern nicer homes, kitches to sell, when we do sell.

I am looking for a source for cabinets doors, ideas, storage, ect. I am installing interior roll out shelves and gadgets to make them nicer but the doors and frames, which are sturdy, are in need of updating and modernization!!!!

I am a DIY guy, building over 4200 sq ft in detatched shops, (hotrod shop) myself, from framing to wiring, ect. I have no issues doing this sort of work. However I am a metal fab type of guy, paint and bodywork on tthe side, not a cabinet builder and ZERO TOOLS to take on this task and zero wood working skills.

That said, I feel I would have to spend more $ in tools, equipment and learn the curve long before ever getting this done. So I am looking for ideas, sources for doors, hardware, ect, where I can spend some $, have doors made and install them on my frames, updating the frames as well and making do at minimal costs?????

IS THIS POSSIBLE?

I am sure in this economy that this is an approach that many may be considering. My home is never going back to the level that it once was, price wise and I am trying to simply get it to sell when needed for what I owe, so I can leave and build my ranch in Idaho.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as this is an area where I cant just do it all myself.

RUMBLON
RUMBLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #2

I see this company advertised here but I am looking for something a bit more fancy, nicer, maybe some inserts in some doors, IE glass/ metal, ect? Is this quality stuff????? other suggestions?

thanks

http://www.barkerdoor.com/default.asp
Old 11-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #3

Ok, first let me say, great forum. I am new here and looking for some advise, links, proveN success from a source company or any ideas.

I own a 1994 built home that we have been in since new. The home is in Northern Nevada in an area hard hit by home values. a 600K home thats now worth under 400K that I am slightly upside down in.

My issue is this, I wanted to retire and move to Idaho where I have 175 acres, paid off. My dreams are on hold for 3 more years (at least) and we are staying in this home and trying to get it ready to sell, if/when the prices make since.

I have recently taken out the carpet of this 2100 sq ft home and installed travertine myself, my wife and I that is, shes handy too, built a new hearth, wood stove, (it snows here) and planning on new appliances and three years ago we did the counter tops in granite tile and travertine backsplash.

Sorry, getting to the point here- I gave you this info because I am trying to spend as little as possible to update the cabinets. They are the era typical Oak cabinets, not in bad shape, but the home will eventually have to compete against other more modern nicer homes, kitches to sell, when we do sell.

I am looking for a source for cabinets doors, ideas, storage, ect. I am installing interior roll out shelves and gadgets to make them nicer but the doors and frames, which are sturdy, are in need of updating and modernization!!!!

I am a DIY guy, building over 4200 sq ft in detatched shops, (hotrod shop) myself, from framing to wiring, ect. I have no issues doing this sort of work. However I am a metal fab type of guy, paint and bodywork on tthe side, not a cabinet builder and ZERO TOOLS to take on this task and zero wood working skills.

That said, I feel I would have to spend more $ in tools, equipment and learn the curve long before ever getting this done. So I am looking for ideas, sources for doors, hardware, ect, where I can spend some $, have doors made and install them on my frames, updating the frames as well and making do at minimal costs?????

IS THIS POSSIBLE?

I am sure in this economy that this is an approach that many may be considering. My home is never going back to the level that it once was, price wise and I am trying to simply get it to sell when needed for what I owe, so I can leave and build my ranch in Idaho.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as this is an area where I cant just do it all myself.

RUMBLON
Old 11-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

Refinish? Paint? New hardware? I would think some combination of these things would work fine for your needs. It sounds as if there is nothing mechanically wrong with your cabinets. They just need a facelift.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
Refinish? Paint? New hardware? I would think some combination of these things would work fine for your needs. It sounds as if there is nothing mechanically wrong with your cabinets. They just need a facelift.
Im looking to make it look a bit more modern, add some accents, maybe some cabinet lighting, a wine rack, ect. I have located a lot of cabinet door makers, ect.

Any ideas which ones are best. I see BARKER doors on here, are they any good?

RUMBLON
Old 11-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Ultimatetouch

If it were me buying the boxes from a box store makes more sense. Dollars wise and time wise. However I remeber an article in fine home building on making your own kitchen cabinets. It was a good article and it lists manufacterures and numbers in the article. From what I remember you could buy the hinges from one source, doors could be mass produced at another source and then you build the box and face frame assembling everything. Im sure there is a way to surch on fine home buildings website. Good luck! Great article!