Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need advice on how to recover from stupid mistake

I am in the process of redoing my entire bathroom. I gutted it back and have been rebuilding it. I am to the point where the floor and walls are done and its time to put the new toilet in place. Here is where the mistake is made obvious.

Despite measuring easily 10 times during the wall build process I managed to build a wall whose surface is about 1/2" too close to the toilet flange on the floor. So the toilet exit does not quite line up with the flange on the floor.

I would like to advice on how I should proceed. I see my options as:
1. Cut into my brand new beautiful porcelain wall tile to get the clearance I need. (I am leaning towards this option)
2. Move the floor flange (it should be obvious, this is a metric crapload of work, especially given how the drain plumbing is laid out, probably the last favorable of my options)
3. Bolt is down anyway as I can get the bolts in place and hope the wax seal is good enough. (fears of blockages and leaks abound here)
4. Seal off that room and pretend it never existed.
5. Sell the house.

I'm hoping that a bunch of you will tell me option 3 is perfectly fine. I'm fearful you will all end up supporting what I think I have to do anyway, which is cut the tile off.

Eagerly awaiting advice.

Thanks.

Haff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 538

I'd go with option 4 or 5

Seriously, how about an offset closet flange?
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #3

I wish I could use that easily. The drain plumbing is all in place and the next piece of straight pipe where I could cut and start adding anything is 10 feet away and past two other tees. Based on what I found when I started the tear-down portion I seriously considered option 5. It seems everything that could be done wrong on the upstairs portions was. I have spent months correcting things as I find them (where reasonable) and now am highly embarrassed to have added my own screw up to the mix.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 538

What is the drain line made of and what does the line do after the closet bend?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #5

PVC, and the closet is actually a "T" narrower upstream and right int a 45 bend, and the downstream goes right into a 45 bend.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Trade in your toilet for one made for a 10" distance off the wall. You'll have a slightly larger gap between the tank and the wall. Put a potted plant on top and nobody will see.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Trade in your toilet for one made for a 10" distance off the wall. You'll have a slightly larger gap between the tank and the wall. Put a potted plant on top and nobody will see.
Ditto,
Nothing wrong with a potted plant. Actually you will probably end up with the perfect width on top to hold magazines without the toilet seat interfering with them.

Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
You GOTTA LOVE a KISS solution that doesn't require destroying the tile wall. Nice job Maintenance 6!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:00 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to rh8868 Send a message via MSN to rh8868

I thought there were much smaller profile offset flanges available as well as the large one above? Granted this picture I found with a quick search on google is for cast iron only, there has got to be some for pvc. Would something this small still take up too much space in your situation?

rh8868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

+1 on just getting a narrower clearance toilet -it's what I would have recommended too . You may be able to take measurements off the old one and find a new one that has a slightly shallower's just a bit narrower.

If your existing toilet is old, you may even get a new benefit in greater flushing efficiency on the new one, which over the long run will save you a ton of money on your water bills (enough to pay for the new toilet).

As an aside, wonder if the 1/2" mistake came from not factoring in 1/2" drywall on your back wall when you did your calcs?
TitaniumVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #11

I figured out how I made my mistake, it was truly a boneheaded move. I bought two of the same toilet. One-piece Toto ultramax2. My old toilet clogged a lot and used 5 gal per flush, it was also incredibly uncomfortable and ugly. so I ditched it for this. I allready installed the one downstair which fit perfectly. So I dropped a tape measure on the floor to check the distance from the bolts to the wall. I then used this number for my remodel work. Here is the boneheaded part. I failed to take into account that the tape on the floor was measuring bolts to wooden floor trim, not bolts to wall. I'm off by almost exactly the thickness of that trim piece.

So my plan is this:
The tile has three sections.
Top bullnose
a couple inches of small/decorative/expensive tile
then 12" tiles the rest of the way to the floor at 45 degrees (think diamond, not square)

I plan to cut the grout line between the decorative and the big tiles, cut through the drywal behind and pull all of that off (thankfully its only about 4 feet wide, so not a lot lost).
I will remove the wood strips between the drywall and the studs, cut a new piece of drywall, carving out a groove where the stink-pipe instrudes (due to no strips of wood for clearance), then screw that down and tile over it again. The wood strips should give me enough clearance and there will be no way to know I thinned the dryway behind the tile in that location. one location. It will never see any loads and its all behind the toilet anyway. Up above where somebody might lean on the wall will still be full thickness.

Structurally sound and a minimum of rework. Of course it doesnt lessen the pain of making the mistake int he first place.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

They put in a new toilet at work and it's 2+" off the back wall where the old one was nearly in contact with the wall. Check out your toilet options and see if you can find one like they put in at work. Unless you already designed for that one

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote