Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #1

Share |

Need Advice Concerning Brick in New Addition

I have a house with an newer addition. The addition was built with the exterior brick in place. Now I would like to put drywall over the brick or gain the additional space by removing the brick then drywalling. Obviously removing the brick would be more expensive and more work. If I did remove the brick I could also add outlets to the wall. My fear is that this would entail more work than I could handle as a DIYer. Any suggustions?

Last edited by micspoon; 12-27-2008 at 04:11 PM.
micspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
DIY Expert in Training!

If you have enough room you could stud out with 2x4's 1/2" from the brick then drywall on that. Then you could get the new outlets you want. I am about to do this in my garage adjacent to a cinder block wall. On the other side I tried using 2x3's and nailing to the block. The wall was nearly impossible to get flat with drywall. Good luck!

gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #3

Sounds the brick wall you're talking about was an existing exterior wall at one point? If so there may be a problem with removing that brick. There may be brickwork hidden above your new ceiling that needs to be supported by the brick below or a structural substitute. The easiest, and probably safest, thing to do would be follow Gone Fishin's advice and build a false wall from 2x4's. Much easer in the end. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.
Skipperjj is offline   Reply With Quote