Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Is it necessary to install tile instead of vinyl in the attic bathroom flooring?

I received two estimates to finish an unfished attic. One will install the tile in the bathroom flooring while the other will do the tarkett vinyl. The price is different. Is it necessary to install the tile in the attic bathroom? The attic is over the car garage. Please share your opinion. Thank you.

compiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Is it necessary to install tile instead of vinyl in the attic bathroom flooring?

One guy wants to do....what kind of tile? Ceramic?

The other will install what? Is Tarkett a brand name?

If one is quoting ceramic and the other vinyl, then the prices should be vastly different.

Whether or not the floor will support ceramic depends on a lot of things. Joist size (2 x what?), joist spacing, span, subfloor thickness and type...

If we can get this info, you will get more accurate answers.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by compiler View Post
I received two estimates to finish an unfished attic. One will install the tile in the bathroom flooring while the other will do the tarkett vinyl. The price is different. Is it necessary to install the tile in the attic bathroom? The attic is over the car garage. Please share your opinion. Thank you.
Attic floors (lower floor ceiling joists) are not usually suitable for a rigid ceramic tile installation, that may be a bad idea and a serious waste of money. In most cases ceiling joists are not intended to support regular foot traffic or frequent dynamic loads and will probably crack the ceiling below over time. Bathrooms DO NOT require ceramic tile. The Tarkett would be fine.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 0

Bud, a lot of the homes near me were built with an unfinished walk up attic designed to be used as living space. I'm guessing that's what OP has. I don't see why the floors would not be strong enough for properly installed tile. The contractor should be capable of determining if the floor joists are sufficient. If the bath is going to be used by children I would definitely get tile. If it's a guest bath vinyl might suffice.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
Bud, a lot of the homes near me were built with an unfinished walk up attic designed to be used as living space. I'm guessing that's what OP has. I don't see why the floors would not be strong enough for properly installed tile. The contractor should be capable of determining if the floor joists are sufficient. If the bath is going to be used by children I would definitely get tile. If it's a guest bath vinyl might suffice.
So are you a neighbor of compiler?
How do you know this is the case?
Let's see if it is...
Compiler, if you will report
  1. the size of the ceiling rafters over your garage,
  2. the spacing of those rafters,
  3. the unsupported span of those rafters,
  4. the wood species of those rafters,
  5. the thickness of the proposed (or existing) subfloor,
  6. the type of material used for that subfloor,
  7. and the thickness of that subfloor material, we will check it out for you.
It's easy enough to figure out.

Most contractors that have skin in the game as these guys do, have a tendency to over look the negatives so as to make a sale.

Tags
attic bathroom flooring