Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

My sister and her NEW husband...

are on their Honeymoon. While they were gone, we had someone install their dishwasher into an existing cabinet.

He's a family friend, and did the electrical and plumbing and basic installation (it is already screwed into place). He's not a 'finisher' and we'd like it took look a lot more finished than it does.

There are some holes to be patched and painted over (and I will likely paint the screws), no problems there. But there are some gaps happening on both sides. The last two dishwashers he installed for us were in existing DW holes, or into holes that were a much better fit and didn't need finishing.

There is almost an inch gap on one side, and the other gap is only slightly smaller. How do people 'finish' off this type of area?

I'm not sure what I would even ask for at Home Depot/Lowes. I can post photos tomorrow, but I'd like to resolve this by Tuesday, as they're returning from Jamaca on Weds morning. I don't want to paint and patch until I know which holes will show, so I need to sort out finishing the gap.

I have never remodeled anything, but I am very crafty and certainly not clueless.

dorn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorn27 View Post
There is almost an inch gap on one side, and the other gap is only slightly smaller. How do people 'finish' off this type of area?
Trim or filler strips, ripped to width and cut to length. Color/stain matching is the tricky part.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Trim or filler strips, ripped to width and cut to length. Color/stain matching is the tricky part.

Luckily, their kitchen is painted white. I will bring a cabinet door in to match paint. I've looked everywhere for their spare paint (there was lots of it when they moved in), but I can't find it. I think its been recycled.

Do I install the filler strip raised over the existing cabinet edge so it hangs over towards the dishwasher (external fix) or do I install it flush with the cabinet face, more of an internal fix?

Also, this may sound dumb, but if I install it internally so it's flush... do I remove the dishwasher? And how do I do that? I assume the first step is to unscrew it from the wall, but I've never actually seen one inserted or removed from a slot.
dorn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #4

With a 1/4" thk strip you can glue it to the cabinet faces without removing anything. Of course they need to be equal width to look right. It's extremely difficult to flush mount so most people intentionally have an offset or "reveal".
Usually, though, you have pull out the dishwasher. Hopefully that means just removing two screws that go into the underside of the countertop.

This project can be a can of worms. At least your surfaces are painted and not stained.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoyizit For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-18-2010)