Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #1

Share |

My first window replacement

I want to replace a 36x36" kitchen window with a more modern energy efficient model. Current window is an old wooden single pane type with weights and it is a real beast to get open and clean. So I want to replace with a modern vinyl double hung. Something that I can easily open and clean. Most of the other windows in the house have been replaced within the last 10 years and are from a company called "certainteed" or something like that. Although they are much better than the old windows they don't appear to be all that great in quality. So I would like to get another brand.

I am on a budget so no $500 anderson windows for me. I was thinking more in line with Simonton, Pella, or Jeld-wen in the <$200 range.

Anyone reocmmend a particular brand and model that might fit the bill? I've seen Pella Thermastar windows at the big box stores for under $200. Are these acceptable?

I'm pretty confident in replacing the actual window as far as shimming and squaring but I'm a little concerned with how I'm going to dress this window on the outside of the house (vinyl siding). The other replacement windows appear to have been dressed with metal that was bent in a metal break. I do not have a metal break so I'm wondering how I should go about this project. This window will be facing oncoming weather so I need to be sure it's properly caulked and installed.

Any tips?

speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #2

Since this is a wood sash window, it would be an excellent candidate for a replacement window if the frame is in good shape. Since you're not changing the windows in the rest of the house(as they've already been changed) and your price point is around $200. I'd go wih the Certaineed unit. The price point and common sense dictates that putting in a higher quality window in one opening makes no sense.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Home Performance

If you insist on buying from a big box store, Simonton is the only one that I'd recommend... or you could venture over to your local building supply house and find a wider array of decent quality choices. PlyGem, Gorell, Softlite can all be found at building supply houses. I know for Plygem you can put your zip code right in on their website and it will list suppliers in your area. You'll be able to find something decent around the $200 mark... MUCH, MUCH better than Thermostar or Silverline.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #4

THanks for the info. I stopped by my local lumber yard and they sold 3 types of windows. They carried JeldWen in house and also had PlyGem and Silverline available for order. Unfortunately they were super busy and I didn't have time to wait around and get a quote. I was specifically going to ask them about PlyGem.
speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #5

andersen window that size is not 500
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #6

The 38 x54 double hung Andersen window I bought was only ~$300

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote